Reyt-pack September 2022 (Downhill vintage rigid race Yorkshire style)

The forks have been in a box of stuff for ten years. I think they came off a oldskool Mongoose. I was going to braze some canti mounts on the fork, but have seen a few period shots of Clunkers with Dia Compe MX front brakes, so will be taking the lazy option. Who needs brakes anyway?

Exactly, I've got polished steel rims so my braking will depend on the weather, if its wet I'll be dragging my feet and screaming in an unmanly high pitch😂

New found donor frame too nice to abuse in Yorkshire so went back to my shed of doom. Did a rummage (involves lots of cursing) then peered behind the iron curtain. Aha, Comrade Pushkin, of course how could I forget my Soviet pushbike. Saved this from the scrappers at my recycling charity, nobody wanted it, partly because it has a few non standard features and partly because it is definitely made from some of the iron curtain. A Kvz (kharkov bicycle factory) Turist or Sputnik, can't be sure as cannot read Russian cyrillic text from sometime in the 70's or 80's or earlier, don't think design changed much from Stalins time. Shod with some steel rimmed 27 x 1&1/4" wheels again saved from scrapper for zero pence and some block pattern tyres, that'll do, which I believe is Yorkshire for that will more than do. Pictures will appear when it's build takes more shape😎

UK vs Russia....sounds great...you will have to find suitable clothing to go with your steed. I am very intrigued by "The Shed of Doom", pray tell more😁

The shed of doom is basically one decrepit shed and several lean to's shoehorned into a postage stamp garden, hemmed in by shrubs etc. My collection of near junk bikes, frames and bits is stuffed inside in whatever way I can fit them. To retrieve something from the back pretty much involves emptying the shed onto my block of flats communal laundry drying green. Baring in mind I am both very tall but becoming a wee bit decrepit, the thought of retrieving anything from the back sends a shudder down my spine, a feeling of dread and doom. Also as I have a memory of a sieve, I literally forget about some items in my collection and a visit to the shed of doom often is a revelation hence my discovery of comrade pushkin under a tarp aka the iron curtain. 😁

Latest posts

Back