Revisiting DDS3 - a 1992 Trek 9000 Fork

npn

Retro Guru
I've done my research on this and unfortunately I can't find much in terms of servicing this fork. I know it's a Showa fork made for Trek for a 2-3 years total, and I also know that Trek did come with a manual and instructions on how to service the fork, but I can't find any online or real copies of the manual.

I want to keep the bike as original as possible and I'm interested in servicing the fork.

The fork was pumped with air some time ago and amazingly it holds air. After I released the air, the fork would compress very slowly and on the return I can hear the oil inside swooshing.

See the pics for how far I've gotten disassembling it. When I pull the stanchion up I hear a clank of sorts and it won't come out of the lower. What should I do next?

Attachments

• DSC_4212.jpg
    DSC_4212.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC_4213.jpg
    DSC_4213.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 557
I got this from Sutherland's Handbook:

On the DDS-3, the Mogul Black Diamond, and the Mogul Extreme, it is possible to completely
unscrew the adjuster rod from the valve body. Thread the adjuster rod completely back on when
you re-install it.
The seals on all forks are pressed in very tightly. To remove them, fill the stanchion with oil and
cap it off. Do not get any air bubbles in the oil. Use a lever (such as a 2 x 4) to press down on the
stanchion to blow out the seal. Protect the stanchion and slider.

So I can't figure out how to unscrew the adjuster rod, and then I assume to fill the stanchion up with oil

I would do it the same way Rockshox Mag are done.
If pump that fork up until it blows!
Be careful though and watch out for oil.

Extra oil is there to make sure it is pushing against something.

To remove the top cap/valve bit, it looks similar to Marzocchi XC forks, drop the air push the valve cap down a bit, remove the circlip and then pull it out (old fashioned 'tube' pump part work well for that

FluffyChicken":sv7nnl8f said:
I would do it the same way Rockshox Mag are done.
If pump that fork up until it blows!
Be careful though and watch out for oil.

I tried that, I pumped it to about 100psi and nothing happened. It looks dangerous tho lol

FluffyChicken":sv7nnl8f said:
To remove the top cap/valve bit, it looks similar to Marzocchi XC forks, drop the air push the valve cap down a bit, remove the circlip and then pull it out (old fashioned 'tube' pump part work well for that

The top cap/valve bit rotates left and right (I assume to adjust compression) but it doesn't unscrew... What do you call "circlip"?

I appreciate it...

The first picture shows the valve pulled up and the second the valve pushed down:

Attachments

• DSC_4215.jpg
    DSC_4215.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_4216.jpg
    DSC_4216.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 455
Hi,

It’s been 25 years since I worked on one of these but fluffychicken is correct from memory. Expel the air then gently push down on the valve/metal top section (a suitable sized socket works) and this will expose a thin wire circlip on the inner stanchion. Use a thin bladed screwdriver to unseat the circlip and then you can use something screwed onto the valve to pull it up and out.

Then you can drain the oil and also remove the stanchion.

Have fun!

Mark

on the cap, around it you might just be able to see a thin wire, you can just see a dark bit at the bottom ?
I am just assuming that is a clip holding it in (like some other forks)

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-25 164529.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-25 164529.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 460
FluffyChicken":2boc0107 said:
on the cap, around it you might just be able to see a thin wire, you can just see a dark bit at the bottom ?
I am just assuming that is a clip holding it in (like some other forks)

No, that's just dirt. I updated the pictures above. Even with the valve pushed down, I can't see a clip of any sort. It looks like there's two nuts though.

@FluffyChicken - you're actually correct. On your picture the arrows are pointing to something like a clip, but I have not clue how to pry it out as the space is hairline wide. I paperclip doesn't fit. Also, it doesn't seem like it would holding something from coming out. Are you sure that's the clip that needs to come out?

Back