Oil filling on open bath (Rond) fork...

xtaffa

Gary Fisher Fan
Hi,

I'm going to replace seals, oil on a pair of Ron-Magura O24U forks from c.2001. There's no specific service manual for this model available on line, and only scant/inconsistent fugures for correct damping oil volume.

In my searches I stumbled across this post re. servicing R-M Asgards, which I think are basically the same fork with a later/different name...Involves adding a little bit of oil at a time and pumping the lowers to fill/charge the damper assembly between additions, until damper is full/lowers won't compress:

I was hoping the suspension savvy on here could give views on whether:

a) The method sounds correct/good in principle for charging the damper mech with the right oil volume, where that volume is otherwise guess work
b) It might lead to a air being incorporated into the damping oil during all the pumping, affecting final volume/damping effects
c) Any better ways of getting accurate/right oil volume where this isn't known.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thats sort of the method i used on some bommers but i couldnt say for sure its the same for these.

I measured what came out first too, to see how close it was to what i found was recomended. Put half the amount of oil in each leg with the fork fully compessed then very slowly pulled them back to full extension and back compessed a few times then repeat with all the fluid added usually you can see the air being expelled as you do it until it more or less stops.

Another thing i did whilst i was at it was i used the end of a zip tie to open the lip seal around the stactions and worked some red rubber brake grease into the seals which smoothed them up well. I cleaned them up really well first of course so i didnt work grit into them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back