Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ 25/02/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
daj":3tnnlqvk said:
Oooooww onto my fav topic , tyre selection !!

Never even visited the lakes before nevermind ridden, ideal tyres needed? Mud? All rounders? Tyre warmers?

Skinwall mate, that's all ya need. :)

Andy B":1lv5rtqy said:
Going to do my best to make it for this ride, but I am awaiting a phone call from the hospital about surgery for my hernia

Anyway, time to go prep a bike as with all things NHS it'll probably take months before anything gets sorted out

Have you tried the hernia hotline Andy?

sinnett177":3m2ws2jb said:
Andy B":3m2ws2jb said:
Going to do my best to make it for this ride, but I am awaiting a phone call from the hospital about surgery for my hernia

Anyway, time to go prep a bike as with all things NHS it'll probably take months before anything gets sorted out
Have you tried the hernia hotline Andy?
:LOL: forgot about that

Prepped the bike for the ride, just gotta decide on which tyres to use :roll: :LOL:

Rob Atkin":1ns3q6lj said:
daj":1ns3q6lj said:
Oooooww onto my fav topic , tyre selection !!

Never even visited the lakes before nevermind ridden, ideal tyres needed? Mud? All rounders? Tyre warmers?

Skinwall mate, that's all ya need. :)

But regular skinwall, Kona Scratch & Sniff or mud skinwall, Pana' Spikes?

In terms of tyre selection; most of the route is on surfaced and rocky rather than muddy trails, so Panaracer Spikes etc would be quite scary.
The local geology means there is a fair bit of slate around which can be a bit Bon Jovi (slippery when wet). Not as slippery as the Whinlatter trails though.

Anyway, I shall probably be using some skinwall Ritchey Z-Max tyres.

@Andy B: There are no 'handbagging' bike carries or any other such bike lifting nonsense so, in that respect, you and your hernia should be fine.

Getting better....

6faaed77.jpg

The weather will be what it is.....

If anyone wants any retrobike swag bringing, stickers, socks, whatever please let me know so I can pack it :)

Thursday afternoon and it is sunny and amazingly warm an hour or so down the road in Preston :)

Any decent tyres will do - mud isn't a problem - most of that route is nice and rocky - think there is just one proper muddy bit in the trees above Lawson Park and that will be downhill so can just roll through it. NFT boardwalk without sandpaper / chickenwire can be a bit slippy in the wet and downright nasty with black ice - bit me with a dislocated shoulder last year :-(

Stickers have arrived so it is a delicate evening in the garage for me.....

Looks like i will be able to make it just checked the bike and changed the tyres so ready to go! will be my first retro ride so looking forward to meeting everyone but a bit nervous about riding a fully ridgid bike offroad with old tyres and brakes in the wet and rocky lakes its been a while since i was out and usually use my orange 5 (sorry to mention modern hope everyone will still speak to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back