Wanted Retro steel MTB wanted for long touring

Frameboi

Retro Newbie
Looking into converting an old steel MTB in to a long touring bike. Hoping to cycle round the world.
I'm 6" 2 so looking out for Larger frames.

I currently own a 90's Dawes galaxy, but would be nice to build something up that can fair a bit better going off road.

Drop me a message if you think you have something that'l work! :)

I have a couple of large bikes, I have a 91 Gt Talera which is probably no good, however I have a Jamis Diablo which I've not been able to sell so will be parting out, it's a good quality frame, I'll check if it has mounts for racks etc if you like?
Also you may want to look at Diamond Back Ascent & Ascent Ex, these ride really well & some have mounts for front panniers, they're also fairly abundant.

I have a couple of large bikes, I have a 91 Gt Talera which is probably no good, however I have a Jamis Diablo which I've not been able to sell so will be parting out, it's a good quality frame, I'll check if it has mounts for racks etc if you like?
Also you may want to look at Diamond Back Ascent & Ascent Ex, these ride really well & some have mounts for front panniers, they're also fairly abundant.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Koga-Miyata ForeRunner has oversized tubing, durable paint and fittings for everything: lowriders, fenders, racks, lock, race number :), generator, anti chain suck plate, 3 bottles... I don't have one for sale however.

Hello,
I have this Roberts ‘Cumbria’ 26” tourer.
Pretty much made for global expeditions.
Plenty of braze-ons.
Would sell as frame & fork.

Attachments

• EEB45217-A9AD-4DE1-95AA-F2B053437DA3.jpeg
    EEB45217-A9AD-4DE1-95AA-F2B053437DA3.jpeg
    979.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 344CFF51-D69E-4072-A05D-74A05F6CA1E0.jpeg
    344CFF51-D69E-4072-A05D-74A05F6CA1E0.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 33
I’ll be letting my 1990 Marin pine mountain frame forks, stem & bars soon, it may be a little small though, whisker under 19” centre to top

I cycled round the world on a Dawes Ranger back in 1986-88, Dawes gave me the bike with extra water bottle and front carrier lugs, I am also 6’3” so has a longer seat post as the 22” frame was a bit small for me. It was completely reliable and clocked up 27000 miles and handled very predictably with lots of weight on. It only took one headwind before I cut 2” off each end of the handlebars though🤣.

Back