Restoration advice on 1996 Kona Kilauea

flyagaricus

Retro Newbie
Hi folks

Just joined this forum :D

So, I got a free 1996 Kona Kilauea 19" awhile back in mediocre shape I guess. I'm getting a new bike which will be my new daily ride and I'm thinking of restoring the Kona a bit. I'd like to hear any advice on areas of restoration/modification. I'm not set on restoring to original necessarily. Currently it's got aftermarket handlebars, grips and seat. I think the rest is original? I don't plan on off-roading much with it or at all - just keep it as a fairweather fun ride. I'm not much of a bike mechanic, but willing to learn stuff and take my time.

I think I would like to get:

- New tires
- seat
- handlebars
- grips
- cables
- cassette
- chain
- paint/decals (how to match paint, remove decals for new ones?)

Anyway, just wanted to get some of the communities thoughts on how far I should go with paint/decals etc (if at all?) Anything specific to look for with this bike.
Just any general advice at all.

Cheers

Attachments

• bike0.jpg
    bike0.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 256
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 252
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 252
Re:

Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

That is a lovely 1996 Kilauea frame that you have there. Somebody will probably be able to give better advice than me regrading restoring the bike, but if it were my bike, I would be very happy to leave the paint and Decals alone. Just give the frame a good clean, and then polish the paint with ordinary car wax.

You could use Humbrol model, or car touch-up to hide some of the scratches and paint rubbings, but I would personally leave it like it is.

With a quick glance, there seems to be very few original components on your bike, but you do have some key OEM parts: Project Two Triple Butted Forks, Impact Headset, O-Beam Seatpost, Velocity Stem - from what I can see, the remainder are replacements.

The Columbus Cyber tubing makes for a great frame to ride.

Pip

Re: Re:

pipmeister":gg8xnkiw said:

That is a lovely 1996 Kilauea frame that you have there. Somebody will probably be able to give better advice than me regrading restoring the bike, but if it were my bike, I would be very happy to leave the paint and Decals alone. Just give the frame a good clean, and then polish the paint with ordinary car wax.

You could use Humbrol model, or car touch-up to hide some of the scratches and paint rubbings, but I would personally leave it like it is.

With a quick glance, there seems to be very few original components on your bike, but you do have some key OEM parts: Project Two Triple Butted Forks, Impact Headset, O-Beam Seatpost, Velocity Stem - from what I can see, the remainder are replacements.

The Columbus Cyber tubing makes for a great frame to ride.

Pip

Thanks for the observations. Yes, I thought of maybe just touching up a few deep scars if I can find a good paint match. I'll try the hobby shop for that. :)

Yup, It's a great ride. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Considering I have so few original components, that makes the decision to not completely restore easier :)

Nice that :cool:
If you get bored of it or your feet fall off, PM me :D
(IMHO the 96 paint/decal scheme was the best ;) )

Re:

Personally, after throwing the upside down bar ends away ;) I'd check the rims for wear, re-grease the wheel and steering bearings. Then new brake pads and cables as required.

The modifications after that are a matter of personal taste, for example on the drivetrain and controls you could go back to period-correct parts to achieve the original look.

Paint-wise, a model shop is a useful port of call, you can eyeball colours against the teeny pots they sell. Failing that, a trip to the cosmetics aisle for nail varnish :shock: It is only original once, so once it is repainted / re-decaled....

SP

Splatter Paint":fijpl8yf said:
Personally, after throwing the upside down bar ends away ;) I'd check the rims for wear, re-grease the wheel and steering bearings. Then new brake pads and cables as required.

Good advice, about the bearings. I'll definitely do that.
Yup I'll be getting rid of the handlebars - they're not the right centre diameter either. I replaced the pads and would like to replace the cables. I've never replaced cables and am a little confused by what to buy. I'm toying with the idea of accessorizing with orange to compliment the subtle oranges in the original branding - maybe have some fun with it since I'm not stuck on restoring to original.So maybe orange cables,grips etc

Nice bike that mate... got lots of potential. Re paint, I’d try touching it in too rather than full repaint as don’t look too bad. I second the model shop or nail varnish isle for paint matching...

If you’re after a period handlebar I have one for sale here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=419897

Cheers
Andy

pipmeister":3kesih70 said:

So you figure the groupset has been replaced as well?

Back