Removing the dial on an xc pro thumbie?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just been tinkering with some xc pro thumbies. I've successfully taken apart and rebuilt the rear indexed side without a hitch. The final task I have is to swap the top off one front shifter to another (one is nicer than the other).

Now, the rear one came apart easily, screw bit came out revealing a circlip, but for the life of me I can't get the screw out of either of the front shifters i have. They spin freely once removed from the bar clamp, but no amount of pushing, pulling, twisting etc will free the screw from the thumb shifter. There seems no visible reason for this so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas?

Re:

I had the same issue with a set, gave up in the end as i didn't want to damage it.

Re:

Weird. Why it isn't the same as the indexed side I've no idea. I don't mind damaging it, but would prefer not to.

Re:

Done.

For anyone trying this, the reason the dial/bolt assembly doesn't just fall out as per the rear is because there is a tiny plastic washer gripping the bolt. You simply need to apply a bit of force. I used the edge of a metal ruler between the lever body and the plastic cover and gently worked the two apart.

Back