Reimagining a 1988 Merlin Mountain

So, as mentioned previously, the forks were to be custom made by Darren Larkin, a lovely human and wonderful bike builder, originally based here in California but who recently relocated his shop out East.

Darren was originally going to build a custom stem to match, but some miscommunication regarding dimensions meant only the fork would be ready in time for the Nutmeg ride.

Regardless, the updates I received along the way from Darren had me excited enough, and I already had that lovely unknown filet-brazed stem to use anyway.

My fork on the left, in 1", and a friends's on the right, in 1 1/8", midway through completion:

IMG_9006 3.JPEG

At which point, a few weeks later, I received another interesting and unexpected update from Darren: the forks were originally supposed to be left with a raw finish similar to the above, cerakoted clear, so all the weld and braze work could be seen as above. Well, it turns out Darren hadn't quite adjusted to the extra moisture in the air out East, and they weren't done quickly enough after completion by his new cerakote guy, so now needed to be blasted and then plated instead. I was kind of bummed out hearing all this at first, as I heard a certain look for them in mind, but then I saw the finished article after they were dropped off at Brenden's shop, and my worries quickly melted away:

larkin-1.jpg larkin-2.jpg larkin-3.jpg larkin-4.jpg

Stunning craftsmanship, beautiful details (still with the visible braze-work), and the added bonus of ending up with a finish not too far removed from that of the ti frame they were being paired with.

It was hard not to be happy with that outcome!

Well here it stands, the build as it was intended to be ridden today at Nutmeg, which sits now, instead, in a dark workshop in Brooklyn, while everyone else hits those autumnal Connecticut trails!

tempImageVSoOfn.jpg

I figured it made sense to post it on the day it was supposed to be first ridden.

I'll go over the details of the build, as well as any initial changes I may make (black caged pedals!) when it arrives on the West Coast, hopefully in a week or two.

It won't be for everyone, I know. I don't even know yet if it'll be for me! But I'm happy with how it came together, in all honesty. As I've never attempted a build like this before.

I wonder how it rides?

I really like it. The stem handlebar height looks less traditional but I'm sure much more comfortable. Great looking stem! Looks like it will give you the right cockpit height without using an extreme upright stem 👍

Nice to see a 10 speed rear cluster as apposed to a 12 speed with the 1X. That fork is amazing 😍

I really like it. The stem handlebar height looks less traditional but I'm sure much more comfortable. Great looking stem! Looks like it will give you the right cockpit height without using an extreme upright stem 👍

Nice to see a 10 speed rear cluster as apposed to a 12 speed with the 1X. That fork is amazing 😍

Yeah, the upright position was planned for the camping trip. Should certainly be more comfortable than most of my bikes!

Not sure yet if I think it's a little too high (steerer is uncut right now) so I may lose a few mm's and a spacer or two eventually.

And yeah, a 10 speed cassette seemed like a less abrasive ratio aesthetically for dipping my toes in the 1x waters! I still can't wrap my head around those giant 12 speed cassettes on an older bike.

This setup is pushing me out of my comfort zone enough already!

Back