Reimagining a 1988 Merlin Mountain

looks like wild rose sports, slc has sold some real cool pieces...
until you put some of the mentioned not pc parts on it.

I didn't even mention them properly yet!

Hahaha, I love this place.

Even with a thorough explanation and hopefully sound reasoning, despite the fact every other bike I've built is entirely period...

Still the little dig! ;)

Anyway, it's potentially just for one ride @newsboy. I have grander, longterm PC plans, so don't fret too much. Or do! And, hey, maybe this horrible sariligious first build won't be entirely awful in the meantime?

The first thing I bought for this bike was actually for the latter PC version anyway (even if it's not technically period correct, seeing as how it's stamped '94):

IMG_20220322_065629-2.jpg

Hard to look too far past a Ritchey fork for a Merlin, although I have my eye out for an earlier, fillet brazed version, ideally in yellow, as a nod to the Fat Chance ti roots of the bike. There's an amazing and perfect one on eBay right now, up in Canada. It's been there a while actually, as the seller is asking $1000 for it! If said seller happens to be on here, and fancies making some kind of deal, feel free to hit me up here or in the PMs. You've got some lovely, albeit pricey stuff! ;)

These beautiful black chrome Ritchey Logic forks are a great place to introduce @RetroRider_IT to the story, too. As he provided them following a Wanted thread I'd put up. This single purchase ignited a very interesting and fruitful relationship between us both, and we're now intertwined on several parts, bikes and projects. Marco is just one more reason why I feel eternally grateful to this place, and the international community it provides.

Ciao Marco! Grazie mille per tutto!

More on Marco's contribution to this particular bike and build in the next post.

Last edited:
Always fancied a Merlin Titanium since this one got laminated onto the cover of my school CDT folder circa 1994/95.

Some optional inspiration for you of a later build:

View attachment 646986
View attachment 646985

That's a rad later one! I can see why it made it onto your CDT folder! I with I'd kept all my school books covered in laminated MBUK pages. That was pretty much the only part of the school year I was actually stoked on!

A friend here just got a Mid 90s frame with full XTR, Flite and a P2 upfront, so a similar vibe. They look great like that, too.

My period version will be as late 80s as I can manage.

My non-period version will be kind of weird, and covering a bunch different eras, but I'm hoping in a lovably eccentric way!

Actually, before we get to the Marco-related big update, a short piece of housekeeping:

The forks.

IMG_2270.JPG 123_1.JPEG

Anyone able to ID these?

I'm not planning on keeping them, but I would love to know what they are before I move them on!

PS. The black Chris King No Logo already migrated over to the Bontrager, and has been replaced by a nice, shiny silver version, courtesy of the legend @iveto1983.

Were Logic cranks around in 89? I remember seeing Ritchey forks and stems on Merlins after 91 or 92.

No plans for Logic cranks on either version of my Merlin, just the forks on the PC one.

I think the '91 catalog was maybe the first time they offered the frame with a Logic fork, or maybe just suggested it?

Anyway, a little later than mine, but not so late as to be offensive to purists, I hope!

This first build, on the other hand...

We'll see.

I saw you made a thread and I waited until I could devote some serious time to open this book! Each of your build threads should just be titled "The Saga of the X" because each one reads as such and I love it.

What I've noticed about the merlin is how much of the look is weighted on the fork given the rest of the package is relatively understated. It seems the biggest opportunity to make a statement should you want to, or perhaps in the case of the black chrome logic, respectfully decline and get on with the riding.

Desperate to hear what the hell the fork is that needs IDing and also to see this camp bike you're keeping so hush hush but mostly stoked to see the completely eccentric, temporarily bird flipped to the pc, build come to life and hear your report on nutmeg. Meanwhile I'm here with the popcorn.

I saw you made a thread and I waited until I could devote some serious time to open this book! Each of your build threads should just be titled "The Saga of the X" because each one reads as such and I love it.

What I've noticed about the merlin is how much of the look is weighted on the fork given the rest of the package is relatively understated. It seems the biggest opportunity to make a statement should you want to, or perhaps in the case of the black chrome logic, respectfully decline and get on with the riding.

Desperate to hear what the hell the fork is that needs IDing and also to see this camp bike you're keeping so hush hush but mostly stoked to see the completely eccentric, temporarily bird flipped to the pc, build come to life and hear your report on nutmeg. Meanwhile I'm here with the popcorn.

Ha, cheers. I think!

You've obviously become quite a bit intertwined with this bike too!

I do halfway agree with the comment on the fork. Mostly that it provides a sort of understated blank canvas. That said, I don't think the fork should ever distract too much from the frame, but work in harmony with it. A Merlin definitely gives you an open book to run some interesting and beautiful fork options tho.

In a dream scenario, like everyone else, I'd find a Koski and put that on there. That would be first choice.

(Anyone who wants to make a small fortune off of me, feel free to hit me up if you're sitting on one! ;))

Followed by an older brazed Ritchey, either painted yellow or left raw so you could see those welds.

After that, there are a few things that could work. There are several nice ones out there with Type II's, for example.

I'm hoping the custom fork I'm working on will be a really nice stop-gap in the meantime.

PS. The only camp bike I have is the one in my head and spread across various parts bins! That's next on the build list tho. I just have to find the right frame and fork for what I want/need/have!

No plans for Logic cranks on either version of my Merlin, just the forks on the PC one.

I think the '91 catalog was maybe the first time they offered the frame with a Logic fork, or maybe just suggested it?

Anyway, a little later than mine, but not so late as to be offensive to purists, I hope!

This first build, on the other hand...

We'll see.
Logic forks... my bad.

Back