Rebuilding a (1994?) GT Outpost - Questions….

cokashi232

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I’ve stripped this down, and I’m working on cleaning up the frame from this at the moment. However I’m looking for advice and ideas for what to do with all the components, as in do I replace them with new, try to source upgraded used components, or simply reuse what I can.

At the moment this thing has
https://showbox.tools/ https://speedtest.vet/
dia compe brakes (‘direct pull 7’, no idea of model)

Shimano Acera-x drive train gears, etc

RST 281 suspension forks

Do you guys think it’s worth trying to upgrade the parts on this while I’m at it, and if so any recommendations of stuff I should track down ?

I’ve had this bike from new, and I did look after it (mainly!)

Last edited:
My first question is what do you plan to do with it once built? What's your motivation/ideal outcome? If you are looking to restore it as period, then I'd clean up and reuse what you can and replace as needed with the same.

But where is the fun in that?

My philosophy has always been to build it like I want it. I've never really done a catalogue build, I've always upgraded. Either more modern or stuff I couldn't afford bits but would have been an upgrade of the period. It's a slippery slope, the mistake I always make is waiting until I have everything down to the final bolt before building. Now I tend to build with what I have then replace as the boys I want become available (or at least I try, but fail).

If I was being sensible, I'd sort out the frame, pick a headset and forks I want for the final build, as these are more of a faff to swap out later. Build the rest, ride and replace when you get parts you want. Fit decent cables as when you come to replace the brakes or gears, you can just bolt on the new.

Oh, enjoy the process and keep your wallet locked away as it can run away with you.

Once you've replaced everything, buy another frame and put everything you've swapped onto that. Rinse and repeat.

I've been a GT guy since I got my first real mountain bike in 1997. It was a 95 Tempest. I had a ton of fun with it. With an Outpost it could be easy to go overboard so resist the temptation of spending too much of fancy parts. A mix of STX and LX parts is sensible. A 90s Rockshox Indy is a great fork for that bike. I like a wider handlebar than what was available back then. Ritchey now makes a riser bar that looks the part for a vintage bike but feels more modern. I think it's 660mm if memory serves. If this is a new hobby for you then that is a great bike to get started on if you have limited mechanical experience with a bike. Have fun with it. In the end it's yours. Do with it what you like. And post some pictures for us.

Back