Re-spraying a frame cheaply at home...advice needed!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So... I am thinking of having a go at doing a frame myself rather than the more sensible route of getting it powder coated... :LOL:

Thought I saw a post on here about the best paints to use, etc, but can't find it now...obviously! I have done one with the effect I will be going for this time, ages ago and with car paint, and it looked superb but flaked off in no time, because, as I now know, car spray paints aren't meant to go round tubes, but rather on large flat panels :facepalm:

Will it be OK to use craft enamel paints or the sort of thing you get in B&Q for painting outside metal furniture...? It's an alloy frame, so do I need to prime it, or will the present paint, rubbed down well, act as a primer...?

Or should I stop being a tight wad and get it done by a professional? (only trying to do it on the cheap as it's a build for a mate who's a NHS key worker. Don't want to charge her for it but I'm not rich right now!)

Thanks for any advice!

A hot sunny day with not to much insect life buzzing around

as clean a surface as you can get otherwise the paint will fall off

etch primer otherwise the paint will fall off

test the compatibility between etch primer and intended colour otherwise the paint will react and fall off

its aluminium. the paint will fall off eventually

*it has nothing to do with the shape of the surface, its all in the preparation, flat , round, dodecahedron, it doesnt matter

Re:

^^ Exactly. Its all in the prep, do it properly. Be patient and build the layers up gradually, no paint drip runs ( sand it back gently if you do), use quality car paint, build the layers up and the clear coat finish. It should end up 95% as good as a Pro and last just as long. I have done nice two colour fades after watching a few YT vids. It’s nothing to be scared of and actually very satisfying :)

I've not tried it but probably will at some point, spray.bike seems to be a slightly easier option than the usual spray cans, and turns out quite well from the photos and videos I've seen

Re:

Thanks chaps! Sort of as I thought then really, as in, it's mostly about prep...which obviously I didn't do enough of last time... :LOL:

If the weather stays like this, I have the perfect area for a spray booth, no wind, full sun, etc, so assuming I can eventually get the seized BB out, I will get to it :cool:

Re:

No-one seems to have mentioned lacquer to finish off either. A good lacquer will make the finish last longer too. You can get lacquer in gloss or matt to match your chosen paint.

Good point

My last bare metal was this with a pearlescent lacquer over the top - I had some left and ended up using the pearlescent all over the place

Attachments

• px10.jpg
    px10.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 650
Hi I agree with the post above. If you look at spray.bike they sell all the different colours and primers and fillers you will need. The paints designed as a powder coat to be finished with a clear coat. It’s specially designed for bikes so the paint drys very quickly without the need to cure in an oven and it doesn’t run (apparently)....

I’m in the middle of respirating a look 595 road frame and fork and I have bought the primers etc from spray bike. Haven’t used them yet as I’m still rubbing thee frame down, it’s carbon so takes a long while.

Failing this you could use etch primers and normal rattle cans you buy in any auto body shop however you need to make sure the base of the product ie acrylic etc is the same or you run the risk of the paints reacting and causing you problems.... you can buy 1k and 2k in a rattle can which will leave a great finish if you don’t spray too heavy.

Hope that helps.

Back