Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to RBotM April 2021 - Theme this month is last lockdown Rides -

What does this mean? I hear you shouting from the back, well what this means is that now we are coming out of lockdown and the country is looking optimistic once again and looking forward to warmer days and being able to meet up and ride with friends once again, we should look at the rides we have been doing where we have had to be either on our own or socially distanced, going without regular social coffee stops or somewhere warm to get out of the rain. So post up those photos you have all been taking on our rides the last couple of months and show everyone the nice rides we have all found, I'm sure, close to home.
So now things look a bit brighter lets celebrate these rides rather than look on them as restrictive.
rules are simple, one or two photos of a ride in the countryside over the last couple of months, a brief description of bike and place and a link to a ride report or bike build page in readers rides etc.
Competition will run until the end of the month with a 5 day poll then deciding the winner.
Best of luck to all

Jamie

This sort of thing is all I am thinking of:
IMG_5230 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Had some good (cold) rides with Pops while off school, on the Super Coureur I saved from the Great Peachy Cull of 2020. Indexed gears, mudguards and a rack, sorted :)

Our Jimmy's 1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur

FDE75179-4A5C-4649-B698-BD6722879D3D.jpeg 684AAE70-9522-4F4F-8E4E-92CA0A9635C6.jpeg

Nice idea Jamie, can we extend the theme to lockdown #1, just so as I can enter something 😁

Definitely, it can really be any lockdown ride. We have spanned 2020 through into 2021 so quite a few seasons worth of solo or socially distanced travel.
Or like myself in the early part, quite a lot of quiet roads commuting 🙂

Jamie

Had some good (cold) rides with Pops while off school, on the Super Coureur I saved from the Great Peachy Cull of 2020. Indexed gears, mudguards and a rack, sorted :)

Our Jimmy's 1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur

Pops? 😳 Becoming common parlance round our house at the moment. I blame American cartoons aimed at teenagers.
and what you doing up at 20 past 11?

20200706_093205.jpg

Double lockdown theme here:

This was my first ride on the Ian Piper I bought in a moment of Ebay therapy/general bored at the start of last summer after convincing myself I needed something a bit sportier than my more practical Condor.
Soon after I realised that I was actually feeling quite fed up with working from home and really missed commuting and the sense of going somewhere. So I started fake commuting: riding a quick 4 mile loop to the Olympic velodrome and back every morning before starting work. It's amazing what a huge difference it's made.

As there aren't many Ian Piper frames about and now it's back out of winter hibernation I'll try to get round to a brief Reader's Road Bikes post when I get a chance.

My normal "off-road" bike, 1970 Raleigh "Sports" 3 speed. Not what people expect to see on the dirt/gravel trails, but a fun ride nonetheless, and still a great roadster; raced it in an informal "alleycat" criterium using LOOK clipless pedals to help with the speed (I did not come in last!). I have even used it for bike polo, but definitely not the right bike for that use. I have all the OE parts in very good condition, but using other parts that better serve my needs and/or whims: Maillard race pedals w/straps, custom leather bar grips and pump grip I made for it, and Brooks "Flyer" saddle (OE is a B.72). Weighs in at about 50 lbs.

A rare (I don't carry a camera normally) "in the wild" photo while riding at Kanapaha Park in Florida; 8 mile round trip to get there, and then about 3 miles of trails should you test yourself. Great place to ride in or out of lock down due to the lack of other cyclists. Easy ride for an mtb on the trails, but a bit more challenging on the Sports; especially strapped in. Do not ask about the monolith; I have no idea how it got there or what the spiral signifies.
1970 Raleigh Sports Kanapaha Park Florida.jpg

The '70 Sports at rest with a distant cousin from '41-'43.
1619238445940.png

Last edited:
Not your ordinary road bike, this 1910 Dursley Pedersen was willed to me by a dear friend who passed away last month. He bought it at an auction while doing uni at Exeter in the 1950's. It reportedly was previously owned by the bishop of the church; Charlie got known around town as "that yank on the bishop's bicycle." In the past he did a couple centuries rides on this wheel.

I took my first flight since Covid to retrieve the Pedersen as his sister are liquidating the estate and closing down his house in Pennsylvania. My son and I rode through the village of Union Deposit, Pennsylvania (next to Hershey where the chocolate candy and Reece's peanutbutter cups are made). We were able to dial everything in as the bicycle hadn't ridden the bike in ages. What an amazing ride, it rode so great for a 111 year old bike! It is wicked light as well.

The bicycle is pretty much original and has the factory three speed. I am on the lookout for correct celluloid grips it would have had when new. Charlie had the hammock saddle rewoven from a British lady in the 1970's (she charged him $27 plus postage). The tires were what he had on the bike, old but still ridable.

Thank you Charlie! The bicycle will be treasured.

IMG_9973.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg
IMG_9970.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back