rawheelz - 1991 Alpinestars al-mega DX

Re: Forks and Stem

rawheelz":4p8xztrm said:
Having found the frame I needed to find the forks and stem. I had some luck on the auction site having found a pair of 91 cromo blades but i really wanted the 92 ODSystem forks. I've always liked the bigger fork.

I've learnt with these builds that it's about patience, waiting for the right item to present itself and after many months of hunting these beauties appeared. These forks were even cooler having been repainted to match the pattern of the Alpinestars shoes of the early 90's and I would have loved to have seen the paint matched frame these were originally paired with.

Some choice components going into this al-mega build. Bullseye hubs and cranks - Mavic chainrings and Atac....all very nice. :cool:

Those forks look very much like the ones from sinnett177's 'Wildthing' build from 2011. This link shows the matched frame in the BOTM neon special.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=167501

Remember this well -
i) because of the number of Alpinestars that were in that month's competition
ii) My own Al-Mega DX with added neon was in the competition. ( Now Long gone unfortunately :cry: )

Interesting to see the sheer number of entries in botm back in 2011 too!

Looking forward to seeing your finished result. Should be a good one! :cool:

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Re: Some NOS product and Neon Yellow

Next to arrive was a brand new set of DX M525 pedals. These were the first SPD pedals i ever owned and being known as DX they were a must for my build. My first pair of SPD's were matched with a pair of Nike Poobah boots, I wish I had kept those. :(

Then came the Gripshift SRT-600. I never had the 600 as I went straight the the cracking 800 ;) but the 600 body and all black colour are quite iconic, well for me at least.

And to brighten up your day here are my refurbished Bullseye cranks... i'm very happy with the result.

Attachments

• Bullseye Crankset.jpg
    Bullseye Crankset.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 167
  • NOS SRT-600.JPG
    NOS SRT-600.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 167
  • NOS DX SPD.JPG
    NOS DX SPD.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 167
Re: Frameset back from Paint

The bike spent a few months at Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol getting sorted. The job card included full respray and new decals from retrodecals (cheers Gil), removal of the old, bonded in BB, repaint A-ATAC stem and Bullseye cranks and fit the Chris King headset. We're all familiar with the logo'd CK headset but this blank, 1 1/4 headset is a real find and very subtle with 'KING' only visible on the top nut.

So with the frame back from paint I fitted the wheelset and the other parts I had collected just to get a feel for the total look.

You'll notice in the pic there are also a pair of Magura HS22 Racelines, NOS Taperlite bars, Control Tech seatpost and a white label flite saddle.

It's worth pointing out at this stage I had noticed a difference in size between the new mainframe decals and the originals. I had an NOS large frame and a well used small for reference. A quick chat with Argos and they agreed to rectify. Cheers guys.

Seeing this assembled made me very happy, it is shaping up to better than I had hoped it would be.

Attachments

• Mock up.jpg
    Mock up.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 143
  • CK Bignut.JPG
    CK Bignut.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 141
Re:

You weren't kidding about needing sunglasses for the Bullseye's...they look amazing...this is going to be a great looking build :cool:

Re: Assembling and installing the crankset

So the crankset includes:
1, Bullseye bottom bracket
2, Bullseye cranks and spider
3, Bullseye inner chain ring bolts
4, Brand X middle and outer chain ring bolts
5, Crank Keeper
6, Mavic 607 inner and outer chainrings with a Stronglight middle
7, 3d printed axle spacers

So everything went together really smoothly. I like the the yellow and black colours broken up with the silver spider and bolts.

When installing the cranks it became very obvious that spacing and centralising the cranks was going to be a challenge, I wanted a perfect fit so measured up and 3D printed two spacers.

Attachments

• Right arm spacing.jpg
    Right arm spacing.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 81
  • Left arm spacing.jpg
    Left arm spacing.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 3d printed spacer.jpg
    3d printed spacer.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Crankset.jpg
    Crankset.jpg