rawheelz - 1991 Alpinestars al-mega DX

rhyscycles

Retro Guru
I was 10 in 1991 and had just found mountain bikes, flicking through MBUK magazine I’d see pictures of the Al Mega but back then the magazine was black and white. It took a visit to my (then) local bike shop Ken Roberts to see the neon visual overload that was the 91 Al Mega DX, I fell in love straight away and it became my dream bike and it found its way onto my bedroom wall.

Fast forward to December 2019 and I now own 2 Cro Mega and 3 Al Mega frames but 4 years ago I found my unicorn.

This bike needed a lot doing to it but it is (I believe) a late 91 model as it had the factory fitted head tube brace that was a standard fit to the single colour 92 models.

I have all the parts for reassembly now but want to start this thread to record my first restore story here on Retrobike.

For me this has turned out to be an amazing bike and an interesting journey where I have learnt a lot about this restoration game.

I hope this thread will be of interest and value to some readers perhaps adding a little value to the already rich knowledge base that is Retrobike.

Cheers.

THE BIKE

<<<<SPACE RESERVED FOR PIC OF THE FINISHED BUILD>>>>

Frame: 1991 Alpinestars al-mega DX

Fork: 1992 Alpinestars ODSystem forks

Headset: Chris King 1 1/4 Big Nut
Stem: Answer A-TAC 1 1/4 Quill
Handlebar: NOS Answer Taperlite neon yellow
Grips: Gripshift black with ends
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Magura HS22 Racelines
Brake Pads: Magura ceramic
Brake Cables: Magura hyrdo lines
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: Magura HS22 Racelines

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: Shimano DX bolt on
Rear Derailleur:
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Dura-ace screw on
Chain:
Cranks: Bullseye
Crank Bolts: Inner bolts are Bullseye
Chainrings: Mavic 637 inner and outer with a Stronglight middle
Chainring bolts: Brand X
Bottom Bracket: Bullseye
Pedals: NOS Shimano DX M525 SPD

Hub Skewers: (Repro) Ringle Holey Skewers
Rims: Mavic 117 SUP Ceramic 32H
Hubs: Bullseye
Nipples: SS
Spokes: SS DB
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: Selle Itailia Flite Titanium white label
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Alpinestars QR

Weight:

Re:

Sure was!!

My first mountain bikes were bought there. I still have the Scott Wind River. At that time they had the 2 shops opposite each other.

Re:

Great bike shop. I liked callows too just down the road, but when he was above the motorbike shop. Raleigh techniums. Ken Roberts was amazing though. Enjoyed looking in there as a kid :)

Re: The original frame

Here are a few pics of the frame before restoration. I bought the bike off eBay and stripped it down. I gained a lot of other components from this which included an original Alpinestars seat post and handlebars but none of which will be used in this build.

Attachments

• 4D5344CF-2B4F-41DB-B8E0-6633FC3AC35C.jpeg
    4D5344CF-2B4F-41DB-B8E0-6633FC3AC35C.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 1,032
  • F96A2AB8-37DD-401E-8CF8-29E16E593767.jpeg
    F96A2AB8-37DD-401E-8CF8-29E16E593767.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • BB630CEC-CBEA-4771-A802-792A111FFFBA.jpeg
    BB630CEC-CBEA-4771-A802-792A111FFFBA.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,032
Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al Mega - My Unicorn

Looks in good shape, assuming no cracks anywhere? Did you get the mech hanger?

Nice one. I have this weak spot for Alpinestars since the early nineties. A teammate (back in 1992) had a '91 Al Mega XT and I loved it. Right now I'm finishing a 1991 Cro Mega DX (don't trust the ally ones) and I'm really looking forward to riding it.

Good luck with the build, will follow this thread, no doubt about that.

Oh, and if you need a 1 1/4 Mag 20/21 fork crown or a 1 1/4 stem, let me know. I have several fitting stems for these.

Re: The frame condition

jimo746":1hgj0od7 said:
Looks in good shape, assuming no cracks anywhere? Did you get the mech hanger?

Yes Mech hanger was included but for the benefit of others you can find a replacement here: https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-117.html

Mech Hanger code is 117.

As for cracks, well I thought I had found (another) crack free al-mega but after a closer inspection at Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol, UK they found a hairline crack on the seat tube below the seat clamp.....phew!!! Easily fixed.

The only other issue I had is that i couldn't remove the bottom bracket, it turned out a previous owner had bonded the bottom bracket in as they had stripped the threads. A little heat and then a new threaded insert we were good to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 17.16.29.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 17.16.29.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 794

Resurrecting this build thread. It's been over a year since I posted here but the build has continued so I plan to do a post each day over the next couple of weeks to bring you up to speed as the build ends.

*****build thread continued*****

Back