Raumer's Dynatechs

Raumer

Devout Dirtbag
I've been lurking on the site and commenting occasionally. But so far completely failed to do a single thread on any of my bikes. But with my latest purchase it's time to dive in at the deep end. This is probably going to be a bit long but does cover 3 of my current bikes. My first moutain bike was a Raleigh Dynatech and I've always had a soft spot for them since. That first bike had silver tubes and purple lugs. Bought from a bike shop above a toy shop in Camberley. It was second hand and one that they had taken in as part exchange. I rode it a lot, even though after a while I found it a size too small. It was great at climbing and unlike other steel frames I tried it was relatively rigid. Our local Halfords had a few new Dynatech's in and I did eye with envy the USA aluminium bonded framed bikes. A friend bought one of the titanium ones from Halfords later on (I think an MT4).

Sadly my Dynatech was stolen along with my brothers Stumpjumper. A change of direction and on to Cannondales starting with an M800 on through Super V and F series. Although there was a Raleigh USA welded aluminium bike at one point. That one again sadly got stolen from a local motorbike shop during a fire never to be seen again. One side episode during those years was trying out a brand new Torus with the Mk2 Trimnell forks at a local bike shop. Superb bike to ride and I was very impressed with the direct steering and a relatively stiff back end for a titanium bike. I've never got on with bikes that have flex in the back end. All a case of personal taste. I should also add that my brother did downhilling so quite a wide variety of bikes and experimentations over the years. I'll do a different thread for those at some point, although very few photos of what we rode at that time.

From these early days of riding a couple of experiences decided the way my bikes would be built from then on. The early Shimano rapidfire shifters I did not get on with, unreliable and too much effort to push. They got changed to DX thumbshifters and it has been thumbshifters as my first choice ever since. Run on friction mode so they cope with 9 spd cassettes, definitely odd but something I have got used to. I've found they are indestructible and allow for fine adjustment when riding. The second oddity is Onza HO pedals. The first spd pedals I found that had float. I had knee issues so did not want to go for the Shimano SPD's. I've found them to be light and reliable. My first choice on any of my bikes. The final personal preference has been Hope wheels. Ever since getting a second hand bike with Hope hubs on I have been impressed with them. Hope's service I have found to be second to none. Even helping me on the second hand wheels! Superbly built products, reliable, brilliant service and made in Britain. Not a lot more you could ask for. Now back to the Dynatech's.

Fast forward a few years and I looked around on ebay to find a Dynatech like my first one. Same colour same size frame and forks turned up. Quickly bought and built up to have some fun. My riding now being far gentler. This frame and forks we still have hiding in a loft. Photo of the frame and forks below, I don't have any photos of it built up.

Attachments

• DSCF1707.JPG
    DSCF1707.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 428
Next on the shopping list was a Raleigh USA Technium. Finally fulfilling my teenage wish. Lovely bike to ride and the one I found was very original. It is still slightly on the small side for me but a bike I enjoyed riding until my next Dynatech came up. Then it transitioned to being my girlfriends bike. Photos of it below:

Attachments

• IMG_4907.JPG
    IMG_4907.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_4908.JPG
    IMG_4908.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 423
Then one day searching on ebay there was a silver & purple dynatech in the bigger size, complete with curving top tube. It was a few miles away but luckily halfway on the route between our house and my girlfriends parents house. So one Sunday afternoon heading home we picked it up. Owned by a bike mechanic since new. The only big change he had made was a high rise set of handlebars to make it a bit more comfortable to ride. I have put on a pair of my favoured Hope wheels & Onza pedals but the original bits are in storage. This one I've taken out quite a few times and has become my go to bike. Not as light as my other bikes but lovely to ride and turns a few heads. Also comfortable to ride on and off road. Photos below:

Attachments

• IMG_9529.JPG
    IMG_9529.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_9532.JPG
    IMG_9532.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 428
That completed my dynatech collection for the last few years but there was a soft spot for wanting an MT5 preferably with the Trimnell forks. To me the ultimate incarnation of the bonded Dynatechs (bar a Tomac replica but I'm not made of money!). Then at the end of last year Ibbs put his Raleigh Decade up for sale. For once I spotted it the day it went up for sale. Frame and forks was my preference but I was only second in line. So the decision was taken to go for the whole bike. Helped by quite a few parts on the bike being exactly what I would have built it up with. Originally I was going to go down and pick it up but with the rapidly changing tiers I was concerned on travelling two & a half hours to pick it up. Knowing my luck I'd get pulled over going there and coming back. So after a bit of discussion with Ibbs he kindly packed it up for posting. Another Christmas day for me when it turned up one morning by Royal Mail. Exceptionally well packed by Ibbs. The first photos below show it as I opened it up.

Attachments

• IMG_9521.JPG
    IMG_9521.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_9520.JPG
    IMG_9520.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_9518.JPG
    IMG_9518.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 424
I started building it up and putting a few of my personal choices on. I do have a Hope bottom bracket to go in it but I need to do some work on that first. So the only changes I've made are the pedals, thumb shifters and rear derailleur. At some point I need to make up a proper stop to sit in the top fork clamp. Currently I've modified a cable end bit plus some tape to bring the size up. But we do have access to a lathe so at some point in the future will make something a bit more elegant. This is not the final build but just enough so I could take it for a quick spin.

I fitted new cables all round and still need to trim them properly. And the brakes need setting up properly. The ride is superb and doesn't disappoint. Nice direct steering and it accelerates easily. Compared to my Klein Adroit it is not as twitchy but still feels like a race bike. Looking forward to taking it out for a proper ride at some point. Although it will probably only be tarmac and a canal path or two. This one I think is a bit too rare for riding too hard. I would be interested if anyone has come across any others? Before this one I had only ever seen them in the catalogues.

Attachments

• IMG_9584.JPG
    IMG_9584.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_9585.JPG
    IMG_9585.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_9583.JPG
    IMG_9583.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 435
Enjoyed the read and I didn’t know you had a collection!
The main reason why I sold it was that it’s too damn rare to ride hard and I got to a point where I just kept on giving it a wax and polish making sure it was looking pretty - and so happy you are happy with it - as much if not more than I was!

I did ask the question on the Dynatech Information thread as to how many of these were actually produced - I’ve only ever seen two on Retrobike - this (which has now changed hands around 5 times) and one more which was one with a Red saddle - which was once entered into a BoTm. A quick DuckDuckGo search will reveal it under images - I’m pretty sure that that is a different frame - my question was never answered. I did email Steve (bikemeister2000) with the question but he didn’t answer.

Personally, judging by how many of these I’ve done across - I’d say this is one of the rarest on RB. Unfortunately it doesn’t get the credit it deserves!

You’ve got it looking sweet! The changes have been quite positive and really tasteful. Interesting that you went for XT rather than M900 which I think was on the catalogue spec.
Looking forward to more pics etc
(I think it deserves a matching front mech!)

Re:

Definitely glad you sold it! :D Each time I've searched for a photo this one has turned up. Not sure I've ever seen a set of even just the mk1 forks. It is definitely a rarity. Might need to get a titanium framed dynatech at some point to complete the UK Raleigh Collection.

I probably will go M900, only had a suitable XT rear mech. And all my nice front mechs are far too large. I am thinking M900 front and rear derailleurs. Might try a pair of Middleburn cranks I have but I do like the FRM ones. And they seem very light.

Re: Re:

Raumer":8b8gnx85 said:
Definitely glad you sold it! :D Each time I've searched for a photo this one has turned up. Not sure I've ever seen a set of even just the mk1 forks. It is definitely a rarity. Might need to get a titanium framed dynatech at some point to complete the UK Raleigh Collection.

I probably will go M900, only had a suitable XT rear mech. And all my nice front mechs are far too large. I am thinking M900 front and rear derailleurs. Might try a pair of Middleburn cranks I have but I do like the FRM ones. And they seem very light.
Yes the FRM ones are also from 1992 - beautifully made and really suit! M900 good choice - deserving!!

(By the way there was an envelope with Mavic decals for the rims in the box!
I did order some decals for the hubs from Gil but I dropped them and ruined them!)

I've had a busy time working on multiple other projects so very little done on the dynatech's. First thing that has been done was to build a bike shed to fit on the patio. Photo of it below, it's come out reasonably well and is just big enough to take two of my girlfriends vintage bicycles. Her bikes are a little bit older than my mountain bikes, oldest is about 1890.

On the Decade I have set up the brakes and gears. And trimmed the cables but didn't take any photos after I'd done it. mheywoo1 sent me a copy of the original Decade magazine test. The one obvious bit in it was that the seatpost clamp should just be a bolt. So titanium bolt ordered and fitted. Helps save a few grams! The article also mentioned Raleigh planning on only build up to 50.

We are in rented accommodation and only have a single garage to store the immediate stuff in so it gets a little bit full. Luckily the mountain bikes that are here hang from the rafters nicely.

Leaving a bit of space to work on all the other projects.

Attachments

• IMG_9604.JPG
    IMG_9604.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9673.JPG
    IMG_9673.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9671.JPG
    IMG_9671.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 75
Back