Rat Klein pinnacle build - Selfmade parts content!

Oh, I would love that. But I don't have a welder. And I have yet to try welding. And brazing, while we're at it.

I'll have to learn that at some point. I have too many ideas that need me to do welding.

Problem is I, have waay to many ideas. Casting and 3D printing would be nice to have, too. I just need more time and more gold plated platinum..

What I also didn't show y'all yet is the cranks, I'm plannig to use. A pair of battered Cook's

I got them really cheap because of this:

I really hope that won't be a problem.

I hope they are more sturdy than my Toplines that snapped with no external damage.

Another update.

The weather is slowly warming up around here. We had a few very nice sunny days, recently. So I'm trying to get the bike assembeled to a state where I can take it for a spin.

This is how it sits atm:

The red brake levers are a placeholder, I think I mentioned that before. I want to fabricate my own set at some point. But it will take some time.
Oh and if you think my basement is tidy, well. I actually specifically painted that one wall white, so I can take photos and (maybe one day) make videos. But the stuff is creeping up from all sides... :D

Meanwhile on my bench I am modifying a set of pedals to fit my needs.
It seems I have 10 or so pairs of those one side click, one side platform padels and I hate those with a passion.

I don't do click. I'm too stupid. Also my knees always start hurting whenever I tried to do the switch. I won't try it again.

So I have a drawer full of these not-flesh-not-fish-but-stinky pedals. How come I even have these? I can't remember.
Anywho.
Might as well try and meake something usable ot of them? I mean - the axle and bearings on those I didn't toss are in really good nic...

Alright. You guessed it.

Time to make some chips and get rid of the unnecessary metal.

It won't be pretty. But it'll work. I think.

Coming up next: A new cage. I'll saw and file it by hand. This will be a pain.

Or maybe I try something else entirely? Like maybe 4 round disks as "teeth"? But then there wouldn't be much to prevent the shoes from sipping off the pedal to the side.
I'll have to do so some experiments here. :D

Last edited:
Great idea with the pedals. I had a few sets of those myself but stuck them on bikes I was selling to get rid of them! Told the prospective buyers it was a plus point, multi function pedals 😂. Keep up the good work, your bike is taking shape and looking fab! 👍.

@Thias Have a look at the Cannondale Octopus pedals for inspiration. With some rounded section and pins on the end of each curve they could be awesome. Yours kind of remind me a little of them...

@KermitGKona88 - I reckon everyone who sees that pic will have the same sound effect of a Tie Fighter screaming along in their head now!

Back