Rat Klein pinnacle build - Selfmade parts content!

The next hubs I got were rear ones.

From left to right: Magura, Hope, Ringle.
Am I seeing a pattern here? :LOL:

I decided to use the Magura hub for parts. Because the Hope one I might be able to repair in a similar fashion I did with the front one earlier. The Ringle is too far gone. The mechanics inside are broken, too.

The Magura uses Hügi (DT swiss) mechanics. I really like the sound of these.
The style of "my" rear hub was aimed to mimic the fron one.

For this rear hub I would have to cut internal threads to hold the rachet mechanism. I had never done something like that before. That's why I made a test piece first. The next picture is showing that with the hardened ratchet ring already fitted in. That ring is a part that I took out of the donor hub of course.

The finished right side flange then looked like this:

Washer, spline ring and seal are taken from the donor hub.
Making the part was rather difficult for me. A lot of the steps and cuts had to be very precise. For example the step witch would contain the bearing had to be the exact depth so the bearing would not be able to slide axially. And it needed the exact diameter, too, so the bearing would press nicely. Too much diameter, the bearing would flop in and not stay in place. Not enough diameter and the flange would crack while pressing in (as the original one did...)

And a few days later, the basically finished set of hubs. The parts are just put together loosely. They would need to go through a elox treatment before actually glueing all together. Still. Looking good. I'm pround.

OT again ...

This posting here basically concludes my little flashback.
I built those hubs in April 2018. And I since then never came around to do the elox process. I had a bit of a existencial turnaround in my life, so to speak. Some may call it a midlife crisis.But I certainly don't. Although there were signs of it.
Me and my wife were both a little over 40. And we had those thoughts that many people seem to have around that age. Everything was nice and stable. We had our cars, our house, all the basics were covered. Between kids, work, eat, sleep the years seemed to run by without anything happening or changing. Besides of course the 3 kids growing up and all that wonderful stuff, we still weren't satisfied. It was .. kinda boring. We wanted to travel, but with 3 kids, it was too expensive. We had enough to go caming in Italy. But wouldn't it be nice to go to the US for soem time? Or see the far east? I alwasy wanted some kind of sports car without a roof. Too expensive... We took a look back at our lives and decided we had to somehow turn it up a notch and actually chase our dreams. We wrote down some goals and realized - most of them would require a certain amount of money. (Who woud have thought?) We did not have enough.

So we read a lot of books (my wife did...) and we wached a lot of financal education on youtube (I did...) And we - to our own surprize - managed to finance a few houses (well, not all at once.), that I would be able to renovate and then rent out. It really worked out. But at the same time it really stopped me from beeing able to spend time tinkering in my basement too much. The bike projects had to wait. I was working way too much. Me and my wife both were. She had the family stuff and was doing paperwork and taxes and stuff. I was working my normal job, then would drive to one of the houses, renovate, sleep there, drive to work the next morning and so on. I didn't see my family for weeks, sometimes.

It really paid off though. Soon after we were able to move to a much bigger house. I had to move my workshop, too. (Thats a nightmare. I'm still not finished really one year later...). The new shop is now much bigger. And it will be much nicer. We are now making enough money so I can pay people to do the renovations instead doing everything by myself. Which finaly leads me to today. I finally have time to go down in to the basement and tinker away on my old stuff.
Isn't that nice?

Oh, and speaking of chasing your dreams: End of 2019 I was able to import this project directly from Japan:

This thing is also at fault for me not beeing able to finish the Pinnacle until today.

:D

End of OT

Less sports cars, more homemade hubs!

;)

That's great you guys managed to take the time to realign your priorities and work together towards something you both wanted. Good for you.

Can't wait to see what happens next in this thread.

Hopefully with a new workshop update along the way!

The next picture is now the first one taken in my new shop in December 2021, so very recently. I had just finished my Wheeler build, which was the one that took me back into the bike stuff.
Looking through my unfinished projects stash (there is a GT LTS, a proflex, a Kuwahara X-Pacer, a boatload of different interesting forks...) I "found" or rather redescovered the pinnacle. I had a few guys on the german forums asking about it every now and then...

So I took out all the parts I had for it and picked it up again. I thought it would be best to not have the project drag along in an undrivable state like that. Because knowing myself, I like rolling projects the best. Make something, bolt it on, try it out in the woods, repeat.
Those self made hubs were nice and all. But it would take me quite some time to really finish them. That's why I decided to complete the AC hub set first and use them.
I didn't take any picures of reassembling the rear hub. I put in a set of fresh bearings, as I had had them in the box for a few years now. :rolleyes:
The hub is now nice and smooooth.

It only took 3 attempts to find the correct spoke length. :rolleyes:
If anyone ever wondered about how to reliably measure the diameter of a rim (because you never know how deep the spoke/nipple actually sits inside the rim) take a look at this pictures, that the user kutte posted in my thread in the german forums. It's genius! Measure like shown in the picture, then add 2x the lenth of the nipple. Viola!

Front hub to match:

"Some" agonizing scraping and filing the powercoat later. I really dislike that process. But I like the result. :D

Using the lathe as a press for the bearings. Works really good!
I reused the old bearings. They were still in ok shape. I just had to flush them and pit in new grease.

And finished.

Last edited:
Finding the correct spoke lenght up front strangely wasn't a problem.
I also took the decelerators off of the work bike - it was upgraded with a set of racelines - and quickly put both the wheel and the brakes on the pinnacle.
Lookn' good.

Got fresh sets of rubber while I was at it. For the brakes as well as for the wheels.
I still have to fabricate a cable hanger for the front brake. This one I am using here is off of a Compagnolo cantilever brake. It works, but I don't like it.

Next on the list. The thumbies. I had a set I thought were ok. Just tattered on the outside.
The plan was to go with the theme and make new caps.
But when I took them off, well. It seems there would be more work than just making a new cap.

10 minutes later.

another 10 minutes later

Pop!

I even had time to make a video about it.
I had that posted already, so some might have seen it back then.

The cap I made had it's own thread, too.

Please say your a turner for work?!

Not a coder or musician who plays around with a bit of Alu and titanium in the shed!!!🤣🤣🤣

Lovely work!

Sorry to disappoint. I'm not a turner.

But telling you what I do or am as a profession is strangely difficult in my case. I struggle with it every time I am asked about it. I'm a generalist. I do everything to a certain degree. But I can't do anything perfectly. I'm really good at repairing stuff. Electrical, mechanical, buildings - doesn't matter. And I understand computers fairly well. So I worked a lot as a computer consultant and Administrator. But also as a programmer and service tech at the same time. Made most of my money by buying and renovating houses at the same time. So - what am I? :D
Someone told me a few moths ago, I am the richest janitor he knows. So maybe I'll go with that.

Wait! Did you even ask what I do for a living?
Well. too late. :LOL:

I also draw... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEuIBkAwys39Od1kqwSD1xA/featured :eek:

Back