Rat Klein pinnacle build - Selfmade parts content!

Thias

Klein Fan
I'm thinking on what part to make or modify next. I've been playing with one if these inverse M951 DRs. And I would like to take one apart and make two new parallelogram parts to convert it no - well - how it should have been. :D

While thinking about that, I started the second pedal.
Measure and draw some lines. Then saw and file the access metal. Took me around 1,5h to get to this point.


Professional bending machine.



I lost one of the original flat head screws. Took those two normal allen bolts instead. Because i had them. Not sure, I like the looks. What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:

Thias

Klein Fan
Did my first little ride on the Pinnacle, too. Quick trip to the bakers.


Bike's looking really good, I think.
But there is still work to do. The thumbie is too loose, still. The rear sprockets are too worn. The middle ones are skipping. Which is really sad. it was my last M900 kassette.
And the handling. I don't really like it. The bike wants to go straight. But I like a light steering...
 

moonlite

Kona Fan
I'm on what part to make or modify next. I've been playing with one if these inverse M951 DRs. And I would like to take one apart and make two new parallelogram parts to convert it no - well - how it should have been. :D

While thinking about that, I started the second pedal.
Measure and draw some lines. Then saw and file the access metal. Took me around 1,5h to get to this point.


Professional bending machine.



I lost one of the original flat head screws. Took those two normal allen bolts instead. Because i had them. Not sure, I like the looks. What do you guys think?
The bolt heads give it a chunky industrial look. Kind of in keeping with the overall design of the pedal.
 

RetroDavy

Old School Hero
This is a great thread, a joy to follow. All the parts look fantastic. For the pedals, maybe dome headed Allen bolts would be a good move. For some reason I thought that the Torx headed security bolts would look good. Maybe reflecting the amount of work that's gone into them!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220227-124256.png
    Screenshot_20220227-124256.png
    447.5 KB · Views: 4

Thias

Klein Fan
Dome headed is a very good idea. Won't do torx. I don't have that kind of tool with me, when riding. But I do usually carry allen wrenches...
 

Thias

Klein Fan
...
Also you're my role model now.
Not sure I am suitable for that kind of responsibility :LOL:

I've been on and off this project for years now, so... no. I don't think, I will abandon it.
It's just that I have other projects, too. Like the scott, I am going to paint soon.

With this particular project it always take a lot of time and effort to plan, get materials and so on. That's why the progress is intermittent.

For example, I just got a broken Syncros seat post, that I am planning to repair, adapt and use for this here Klein. :D
But I still need to find a source for a titanium or aluminium tube that has the correct diameter.

I've also been tinkering with different seatpost sizes. Because I realized the seatpost, that came with the frame was one size too small. 27.0 instead of 27.2. That explains the crack, I guess. :rolleyes:

Also I managed to brake that seatpost binder. So I'll do a revised version of that, too.
 
Last edited:

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
This is a great thread....like the bike long may it live ✌️
Can't help with titanium.....my shed doesn't seem to attract anything that exotic....but might be able to help with aluminium tube.....nothing dead or broken gets dumped till I've had the last meat off the bone as it were! If you know diameters and wall thicknesses I can rummage ....you never know!
 

Thias

Klein Fan
As I'm getting ready for a little mtb meet in Lübeck I want to attend, I have to get the bike ready.
Last time I was fiddling with the bike, I found a crack in the seat tube an I had to look into that problem. Turns out the seat post I had used was a little bit to small in diameter. And while playing with differen sizes I managed to brake my self made seat post binder. ;(
Maybe I should have used steel instead of Aluminium for this part.


Well. It did last a few rough years though.
And becaus I learn from my mistakes, I'll use Aluminium again. :LOL:

The reasoning behind that is, that the lever (that is wearing against that Aluminium part that now broke) is much more complicated to make. It is made from stainless steel and has some (complicated for me) excentric features. I'd rather remake this part than the lever.

On to the machine, then.



Half an hour later and the Klein has a working seatpost sqewer once again.




For a seat post, I am currently using a Use Alien. As it is the only one with the correct diameter I have in stock.

I also swaped the stem and bar to something more upright. Now I'm ready for the meet.
Look forward to some (hopefully) exciting pictures. :D
 
Top