RALEIGH Titanium - Please help us to identify

omar71

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this a complete bike on ebay. It is fitted with a complete XTR in super condition (because I bought it). The frame has the original paint. The inscription on the top frame tube: Titanium XTR. My question please :

- From what year is this model?
- The frame is really a complete titanium?

sorry for english

thanks Roman

Attachments

• ral1.jpg
    ral1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 5,580
  • ral2.jpg
    ral2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 5,579
  • ral3.jpg
    ral3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5,578
  • ral4.jpg
    ral4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 5,577
I know nothing about it except it looks great!!! Nice bike ;)

chech out the Raleigh archive on here - this looks like early 90's Raleigh USA to me.

Well it not alloy for sure. There must be some paint chips on it? If there are signs of rust, check bb and dropouts, then its not ti.

Hello Roman,

your Bike is a special model, produced for the two-wheelers retail trade Company(ZEG) in Germany. The selling started in the third quarter 1994. It was driven out over a special dealer net. Congratulation to this rare piece. The framework is the same as with the MTi-200 John Tomac of 1993.
Here you find my Raleigh Titanium XTR USA Designe, how it was called by ZEG, with a Judy SL from 1994.
[][/url]

nevadasmith":1e40bkx0 said:
chech out the Raleigh archive on here - this looks like early 90's Raleigh USA to me.

Surely you mean "Czech" out the Raleigh archive on here???

I've only recently been converted to all things Raleigh, but that's a Raleigh USA model, maybe a Scandium? No doubt some if not all of the tubes are Ti, and it's probably a bonded frame.

No doubt a Raleigh expert will be along to give so e more info soon.

Oops! I meant to say Technium, not Scandium. I've been looking at too many bikes today lol!

Get a pic posted up in the Raleigh Dyna_Tech appreciation thread ;-)

At this frame all the Tubes are Titanium, plasma ARC welded at Raleigh Special Products Division in Nottingham England.
It is nearly like the Dynatech Torus, without the rear cablehanger and in the design of the Raleigh USA Technium Line.

Dynatechrider":2ltytwcq said:
plasma ARC welded

Are you sure about that mate? If so can I see some close ups of the welds?

I'd be very surprised if it was PAW due to the complexity of finding the right parameters setups compared to TIG. Would be surprised if there was a design need either in a bike.

Let me know though.

My statement is based on a report of the Mountain Bike Action magazin, from July 1993. Here the production of the Raleigh the USA MTi-200, was described. The relevant text excerpt contains the following statement:

"The titanium tubes are shipped to Raleigh Special Products Division in Nottingham, England, where they are set upon by a combination of human and robotic plasma ARC welders ( humans handle the small rear triangle joints and robots handle the front triangle)."

I belief, this is the reason for the titanium untypical welding seam at the headtub.

Best regards from Mainhatten

Back