Raleigh RSP titanium road bike seat post diameter

Norm

Retro Newbie
Hi Ive just bought one of the last Raleigh Special Products titanium road bikes with the teardrop shape downtube and I have a question about seat post diameter. It came with a 26.8mm seat post which seems a slightly loose fit requiring a lot of tension on the seat clamp. I tried a 27.2mm post which was a really tight fit and difficult to get partially in. The only on line reference I've found so far on Sheldon Brown suggest a 27mm seat post! These seem to be unobtainable. Did Raleigh supply with a Bespoke 27mm post? What seat post size do other owners use? Thanks for any advice.

Plenty of 27.0 posts - I have a Dura-Ace one I would be happy to sell for £45.
24004771929_4c8f68b0c2_b.jpg

Hi Ive just bought one of the last Raleigh Special Products titanium road bikes with the teardrop shape downtube and I have a question about seat post diameter. It came with a 26.8mm seat post which seems a slightly loose fit requiring a lot of tension on the seat clamp. I tried a 27.2mm post which was a really tight fit and difficult to get partially in. The only on line reference I've found so far on Sheldon Brown suggest a 27mm seat post! These seem to be unobtainable. Did Raleigh supply with a Bespoke 27mm post? What seat post size do other owners use? Thanks for any advice.
Do you have a photo of the frame? I have a Gazelle Titan which I understand is the same frame but without the Raleigh labels. Mine is 27.2mm post which is a relatively loose fit compared to other frames.

Do you have a photo of the frame? I have a Gazelle Titan which I understand is the same frame but without the Raleigh labels. Mine is 27.2mm post which is a relatively loose fit compared to other frames.
Hi, photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_093747795_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230927_093747795_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
It's possible that while using the 26.8 post, the top clamp area got deformed, thus not allowing a 27.2 to enter the tube. Given the gazelle mentioned above uses a 27.2, I'd second check to see if with a bit of remodelling of the entry point, you can comfortably get a 27.2 into the tube

Hi, photo attached
It’s a different frame.. wasn’t expecting that. I’ve only seen the type which I have before, that looks to have different geometry / tube diameters. See the photo.

I’d be interested to know more about that one you have!

Attachments

• IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    681.6 KB · Views: 6
It’s a different frame.. wasn’t expecting that. I’ve only seen the type which I have before, that looks to have different geometry / tube diameters. See the photo.

I’d be interested to know more about that one you have!
I believe it's one of the last titanium frames made by Raleigh Special Products in Nottingham between 1999 and 2000. It looks as if they were experimenting with aero shapes, but without the benefit of a wind tunnel, presumably for time trial purposes. I don't know and that's just my assumption.

Back