Raleigh M-trax - a 200 and a ?

jari

Dirt Disciple
First bike post.
I picked up two Raleigh M-trax bikes locally this week.
seem to be in quite good condition, with everything working, nothing stuck... no dings or major scratches.

Picked up from the person that bought them new in September 1997.
One is a Teal blue m-trax 200 comp .

I am having trouble figuring out what the second bike is.
Raleigh m-trax yes. bottom bracket number is YF97 J03018 - so 1997 i think?
it has rock shox indy C, raleigh special products stem, bar ends, seat post
Both have what look like titanium bars?

of course the picture I have below unhelpfully doesnt show the drive side and the 4 arm crank. Deore lx. brakes are stx rc.

Thoughts on what it is? I could find the link to the spec sheet for these from this thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=236392

and wondered on 250 comp or the 350 elite?
Original owner bought two bikes in sept 1997, the 200 blue one above and a red one with suspension. The red one was stolen then replaced with the orange one above if that helps.

Attachments

• mtrax-200small.jpg
    mtrax-200small.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 519
  • bikemtrax2.jpg
    bikemtrax2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 520
  • mtrax-stem.jpg
    mtrax-stem.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 512
Re:

hi
nice finds
both are the same frameset - cromoly
top one is 1997 MTrax
bottom is 1996 If i'm not mistaken

Re:

Nice looking bikes, and yes the bars will be Titanium, also as you’ve found out the decals on these bikes like to flake off in the slightest of breezes :D
Maybe a search of the catalogues will help identify the red bike, there are also a few Facebook groups dedicated to British atb /mtb and the Dyna-Tech range also, which whilst its an M-Trax there may be someone who has info on it.

Thread resurrection...

Took a while to get round to it but... finally been out on this properly. Changed horrid seat and removed rear rack... and that was about all i needed to do.
40km mixed road and offroad this weekend just gone on it. Perfectly fine for bridleways and the like round me.

Got some movement in the headset though. and I had a surprise with it... it is 1 1/8th diameter and looks like more modern setup. but... pull the plastic top plug off and there is no star nut? Odd. Not seen that before.

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_152758798.jpg
    IMG_20210509_152758798.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 11
Got some movement in the headset though. and I had a surprise with it... it is 1 1/8th diameter and looks like more modern setup. but... pull the plastic top plug off and there is no star nut? Odd. Not seen that before.
My Courier Comp 94 was the same: A-head but no star-nut. Always coming loose. Think it may have been a characteristic of the transition period!

My Courier Comp 94 was the same: A-head but no star-nut. Always coming loose. Think it may have been a characteristic of the transition period!
did you ever try to fit star nut and move to more modern way of doing it?

the slight slack is not noticeable on road sections but I know it is there... and it cant be good on anything vaguely rough (actually that includes some of the roads. shocking).

Back