Raleigh Equipe Malliard Freewheel

You don't need a chain whip to dismantle it for servicing, just to change the cogs which I think you are not doing.

I used to have a freewheel vice tool (till a few years ago) which was just the thing if you were set on dismantling this freewheel.

I recall I had a load of suntour new winner Ultra 7 speed freewheels. They were a joy to dismantle the bodies and change the sprockets about.

The tool was the VAR 365 which not only had pins to hold the sprockets but also clamped down through the centre of the body.

There are some nice pics on the internet

I remember it being so secure when when clamped in a vice and using a chain whip to remove the sprockets.

From the picture of this malliard I cant see how you can access the top of the body to dismantle without removing the smallest sprockets.

Re:

Hmm seems to be a bit of a split opinion then, Midlife, if you say I don't need a chain whip how do you suppose the freewheel opens?

Tpjm that VAR tool looks perfect for the job, trying to lock it in place and unscrew it is proving difficult. I think if the rings were to unscrew, you could then lift out the components as that is whats keeping them all secured in place.

Oops , my mistake, I was in autopilot. You need to take off the smaller two cogs with a chain whip to get to the races. I was thinking about Regina etc

Just checked and there is a good you tube vid.

Re: Re:

jamman1125":yp0jwrtj said:
Hmm seems to be a bit of a split opinion then, Midlife, if you say I don't need a chain whip how do you suppose the freewheel opens?

Tpjm that VAR tool looks perfect for the job, trying to lock it in place and unscrew it is proving difficult. I think if the rings were to unscrew, you could then lift out the components as that is whats keeping them all secured in place.

usually even with the sprockets removed the body will still be intact.

there is a lock ring that will need removing - often having only holes you can use a punch and hammer with.

As other have said these freewheels are not really designed to be taken apart. the Suntour NW were designed differently and IIRC the sprockets, spacers and bodies spares where all individually and easily available. They were made to be tinkered with!

Re:

It's a pity suntour doesn't seem to have the love that Shimano and campag attracts. In many ways, their stuff seems technically superior and a joy to use

Re:

Could someone tell me what these rivets are for? They are on both sides. They can't be for the downtube shifters because they aren't threaded. But they seem to be pretty slap bang where the shifters should be. This bike has the clamped kind of shifters.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_142100-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200621_142100-01.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 649
My guess would be that they were a brazed on gear boss that has been taken off to allow fitment of the current "band on" levers. Are there any signs that there was once a post emanating from the hole visible in your picture?

Re:

That would make sense but I don't see why there would be the banded shifters in addition, as I believe the banded shifters on the bike are original. Can't really tell if anything used to be in there as this is a fresh paint job.

Back