Raleigh Banana - Cassette Removal

rmwesley

Retro Guru
Hello,

I need to remove the cassette on a late 80s (I think) Raleigh Banana. Not a fancy one, just the gas pipe 18 - 23 version. If anyone is interested, there is a serial number ( 8645128 ) located on the seat tube just above the bottom bracket. Isn't that a bit of an odd place?

Anyway, can anyone tell if the cassette is a jobby where the small cassette sprocket is the lock ring & needs to be unscrewed using two chain whips? Alternatively there is a 24 spline cup down in the well of the cassette body. Think you can just about see it in the photo. Searching for 24 spline freewheel removal brings up hits on "Maillard / Sachs / Atom / Normandy" freewheels.

Either way I need to buy / borrow something... either a second chain whip or find the right 24 spline tool, so want to try and get it right first time.

Happy to post more pics if it will help.

Thanks in advance, Richard

IMG_20211004_195208.jpg

IMG_20211004_195231.jpg

That's not a cassette, it's a freewheel.
The remover you need is like this:
37445.jpg

available from lots of places such as the one I stole the picture from

Lock the flats of the remover in a vise, seat the freewheel on the splines so the wheel is horizontal then grasping the rim like you're trying to steer a bus without power steering, attempt to rotate the wheel anti-clockwise. The freewheel will unscrew from the hub - sometimes easily, sometimes after considerable effort.

That's not a cassette, it's a freewheel. Available from lots of places such as the one I stole the picture from. Lock the flats of the remover in a vise, seat the freewheel on the splines so the wheel is horizontal then grasping the rim like you're trying to steer a bus without power steering, attempt to rotate the wheel anti-clockwise. The freewheel will unscrew from the hub - sometimes easily, sometimes after considerable effort.

Many thanks Jim 👍 Exactly the help I was looking for. All the best, Richard.

New chain on an old freewheel…. Enjoy the skipping of that chain & jumping….. rule of thumb new freewheel (NOS) or cassette new chain = no issues normally…

Back