Raleigh Activator I / II appreciation thread

Re:

I have just got one of these Raleigh Activators, I did not realise it was one when the lad said he had an old Raleigh mountain bike. I have had fun reading the posts and I cannot wait to get it cleaned up and try it out, I just have to find out for myself.. Saw one on E bay not long ago but avoided it, i better open my eyes next time someone hands me a bike.

Re:

Remember when I first saw one. Immensely impressed that Raleigh had produced an entire bike for the cost of a pair of suspension forks.

I knew it would be crap to ride etc - but I figured it meant that suspension had gone mainstream and we'd start seeing a lot more of it on decent bikes too.

I am sorry, but not very sorry, to drag this thread from the back of the filing cabinets of Retrobike where many had hoped it would remain lost.

I recently aquirred a near mint Raleigh Activator 2 in my size that the seller reckoned had been dry stored somewhere with little use. It had also been serviced and was working perfectly. Consequently, because I'm weird, I had to know if these things are really as bad as everyone says.

I took it to Glentress and subjected it to the full blue route, I figured if it was bad then I'd not be happy on the red route. It was an eye opener, but not in the way you'd expect.

It rode and handled brilliantly, everything worked, the minimal suspension actually made the rough rocky tracks feel better beneath me. It handled small drop offs, berms, table tops etc without issue and its bulk was not really noticeable most of the time. I was very pleasantly surprised and I suspect it shall remain in my stable for a while. Its also quite fast on single track as its 90's inspired XC style does encourage you to go for it. Think I might even make a few retro mods such as better wheels etc

Sorry guys but if you have never ridden one you cant really slag them. They are also better in some respects than many of the cheapo BSO Y-Frames that came later.................AMAZEBALLS !!!!!!!!!!

velomaniac":2gh15a8w said:
I am sorry, but not very sorry, to drag this thread from the back of the filing cabinets of Retrobike where many had hoped it would remain lost.

I recently aquirred a near mint Raleigh Activator 2 in my size that the seller reckoned had been dry stored somewhere with little use. It had also been serviced and was working perfectly. Consequently, because I'm weird, I had to know if these things are really as bad as everyone says.

I took it to Glentress and subjected it to the full blue route, I figured if it was bad then I'd not be happy on the red route. It was an eye opener, but not in the way you'd expect.

It rode and handled brilliantly, everything worked, the minimal suspension actually made the rough rocky tracks feel better beneath me. It handled small drop offs, berms, table tops etc without issue and its bulk was not really noticeable most of the time. I was very pleasantly surprised and I suspect it shall remain in my stable for a while. Its also quite fast on single track as its 90's inspired XC style does encourage you to go for it. Think I might even make a few retro mods such as better wheels etc

Sorry guys but if you have never ridden one you cant really slag them. They are also better in some respects than many of the cheapo BSO Y-Frames that came later.................AMAZEBALLS !!!!!!!!!!

Nice one ....they diss it because it's not a Klein!

When I was about 9 or 10, by Dad took me to Chris Cycles on Crown Way in Leamington Spa. He bought me a Raleigh Activator, and with the seat post all the way down, I was a good 6" away from being able to put a foot on the floor. It took me a good year or two to grow into the bike, and I had it until I was 16. My fondest memories were riding to school, and the bottom bracket working its way loose every morning and every afternoon. Twice a day, I'd have to stop every 1/4 mile and re-attach the pedal arm, after scrambling to find the nut which had fallen off.

The bike weighed a ton, the brakes were non-existent at best, the ride was bumpy as hell and the wheels were wobbly.

I was very glad to get rid of it, and upgrade to a Saracen.

I think we ended up stripping the paint off and re-spraying it purple, and not long after we ended up sticking it on the bonfire.

Re:

It sounds like you are yearning for one, even if you don't know it.

Buy one, trick it out and get on a retroride.

Or go modern and get an ActivatorII.

Re:

I have a Claud Butler Pinelake as an MTB for now, and a TDF 2014 road bike. I don't think her indoors would appreciate another bike in the garage.

Back