Quill to ahead adapters?

M_Chavez

Senior Retro Guru
Hi All,

Would anyone have any advice about a good quill to ahead adapter? Not too heavy, not too prone to critically fail, not too expensive :LOL:

Thank you.

I saw this one on another site recently, and found it aesthetically upsetting. I guess my advice is not this particular one!

1658152684348.png

Christ almighty.
That looks like velo orange stuck a couple inches above it's "lowest insertion level" mark with a stem that's longer than the shaft!
I'm running a cheapo Chinese jobbie in my bojack right now, but I think it's close to 300g in weight.

One for the bojack to drop weight ('cause I really need to drop those 150g on a bike carrying panniers).
One for the frenchie, assuming she's rideable, because I only want to sand down one quill to 22.0 and then use whatever steam I want.

...Of course, I can do what some very talented mechanic did to my pal's stella - just hammer a 22.2 stem into the steerer. But by the time I'm done removing the rust, it might well become a 22.2 anyway.

Last edited:
Adapter or stem wise?
I'm a picky bugger when it comes to contact points. My arse, wrists and feet get the comfort treatment (boat anchor leather saddle, compact bars and MTB extra wide platform pedals - roadie fashion police will probably lynch me on a tree for this if they ever manage to catch up with me), so I'll be running a modern bar in it.

I have run a Deda one for over a decade, also an Acor one on the tandem. My personal rule is avoid the cheap Chinese stuff. The Deda's finish is nicest.

Thanks.
Amazon delivered Deda this morning and it's for a 1" ahead stem (remember those?). So you need an adapter on an adapter to run a 1 1/8.
Hence me starting the thread.

Back