Quick spin in Jan - a very tiny aftermath!

grumpycommuter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A top few hours spinning in South Staffs were enjoyed by the intrepid polar cyclists Mark and Karl. Think Ice Road Truckers but with bikes and a slight Midlands twang.

The hours were made even more enjoyable by actually building Mark's bike before setting off...

It was an inauspicious start, setting of heroically from the house and walking down the road for 100m that resembled Solihull Ice Rink, does not look manly.

Lots of nice lanes, plenty of chat and loads of slush and ice. All a breeze for my mighty 27 x 1 1/4's but the real man today was Mark on his tubs...yes...TUBS..in winter! Plus he carried his spare, crossed over his broad, manly chest. Finally he has cast aside any lingering doubts over his ability to choose appropriate tyres :LOL:

Looking forward to doing it again

HA,HA that sounded ace!! any pics of Mark with the tub round his head? Are we both looking strong for the Gospel onslaught?

daj":pk0q8z99 said:
HA,HA that sounded ace!! any pics of Mark with the tub round his head? Are we both looking strong for the Gospel onslaught?

There is one pic that was taken which should appear...not sure if the tub is visible..i hope so as he looked very very old skool. Mark is unsure of Gospel so plenty of cajoling will be required..feel free to send lots of PM's

And are you feeling strong?

grumpycommuter":3ovf4y1r said:
daj":3ovf4y1r said:

There is one pic that was taken which should appear...not sure if the tub is visible..i hope so as he looked very very old skool. Mark is unsure of Gospel so plenty of cajoling will be required..feel free to send lots of PM's

And are you feeling strong?

No not at all .... But there is no reason for Mark to shy off if I can do it he certainly can :D

It was indeed an icy start. A temperature of around +2 degrees which, while a good bit warmer than it had been, was still plenty cold enough. After a quick going over with Allan keys and spanner my new bike was ready for what I had been dreading; namely putting the bar tape on.

Amazingly the task was accomplished with only moderate swearing. This was surprising as prior to Karl's arrival I had applied some of my new mega death heat embrocation to my knees. I did this in an attempt to stave off the knee pain I've had since the Cannock ride.

Holy mother of Merckx that stuff is hot! Despite my frenzied 'dance' the bar tape was on so, off we set.

Spare tyre donned, we walked up the road. This little road is never gritted but, once out of it we were able to ride. We stopped in Brewood so I could tighten a loose saddle. Apart from a loose bottle cage, the new bike held together very well although thanks to shiny new blocks, the brakes were rubbish.

Thirty miles passed smoothly with only one ice induced diversion. Thanks to a dead camera, we are sadly lacking pictures apart from one which I will post when I switch on the PC. There are some impressive buildings en-route and also an old jet fighter! I will post pictures in an attempt to tempt more riders later in the year.

Thanks to Karl and I hope I didn't slow down the flying fixed too much.

Here we are. Picture as requested. All the snow has gone now.

Attachments

• Snowy Ride Orig.JPG
    Snowy Ride Orig.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,441
Back