Questions on converting 26" for road use

Bit more soul-searching on this one over the last week... And you know what? I think it's just that I'm bored with the bike in its current setup (i.e. it's sub-8kg and there's absolutely nothing left to do on it) than needing to turn it into a bike that will do something it won't do already.

So to do the planned switch, the first change would be the wheelset - to a set of 700c disc wheels. The current 26" Crossmax first gens are in excellent shape, and weigh 673g & 873g with rim tapes. The 32mm Panaracer Paselas I've already got on are probably very close to what I'd want on any new wheels (bit of more grip, better in the wet, bit tougher, a bit comfier than summer road tyres), they're 305g each plus 95g for the tubes. So the overall wheelset weight is let's say 2350g.

I've been looking at 700c disc options and the best price/quality/weight option seems to be the new Cero 30mm carbon set at 1400g: https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/ ... r-wheelset. If the weight of those is 1400g, say 10g each for the tapes, maybe 300g for a similar kind of tubeless tyre and 50g each for the sealant. Add in discs at say 110-20g each and the overall wheelset weight is - exactly the same. Then I need a new brakeset too...

So what are the benefits?

i) I could go tubeless over inner tubes, and it would be my first proper go at that. Though the benefits with largely road tyres are somewhat debatable I think. More hassle to fit, sealant to buy, top up, etc.

ii) I'd be on discs, and that is the main performance plus. But for the hassle of new wheels, tyres, brakeset - do I really need discs for largely road use over the winter? They would definitely be a bit of an upgrade, though the full XTR M970 set with ceramic rims and pads is actually the best V-brake setup I've owned. With the disc brakes would come the maintenance - bleeding, new kit, oil, new skills to acquire!

iii) The deeper section 30mm carbon wheels would be faster than the Crossmaxes

iv) The larger wheels would give me effectively a bigger top gear, which might make a little difference since the biggest gear on this bike is 48x11.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that what I have already is a pretty decent - and crucially low/easy maintenance - winter road/gravel option, and it's a fair amount of hassle and expense for some pretty marginal improvements :roll: Convince me otherwise!

As it happens my only foray into disc brakes was with BB7s using the XTR levers - after a huge amount of adjusting, research, readjusting every available setting I just found them massively underwhelming even compared to the XTR V-brakes. So if I change I think it's going to be hydraulic only.

To me sticking aero wheels on a flat barred bike makes little sense - it's a bit like running slicks on a Range Rover and driving it on a track. Sure, it will work, but it just puzzles me as it's starting from the wrong place.

Fatal Swan":3dny7589 said:
As it happens my only foray into disc brakes was with BB7s using the XTR levers - after a huge amount of adjusting, research, readjusting every available setting I just found them massively underwhelming even compared to the XTR V-brakes. So if I change I think it's going to be hydraulic only.

Then they weren't set right, sorry.

Re:

white is not the colour for a winter bike ….. unless meticulous cleaning doesn't bother you.

Re: Re:

pigman":3v2kgw5g said:
white is not the colour for a winter bike ….. unless meticulous cleaning doesn't bother you.

Unless you live in snowier climes, which hen presents its own set of problems with a white bike...

Back