Questions from a noob about buying a Vintage road bike

jiwkein

Retro Newbie
Hi guys! Although I have been riding a bike for as long as I remember, the closest thing to a road bike I’ve ever owned is a mtb. I am looking at getting a decent condition, used, vintage road bike (been looking at Puegeots quite a bit) to ride to work and get some more exercise. I know they’re not the best/lightest/fastest bikes out there but there seem to be some pretty decent bikes in the ~$300 CAD range locally. I’ve just got a few questions

1. Are there any major downsides of getting an older bike? Is it very hard to find part if/when something breaks?
  2. Other than Puegeots, what are some brands I should look for or avoid?
  3. Are there any particular features I should look for (or avoid) in a vintage road bike?
  4. Pretty much any vintage I see for sale has drop bars, how hard is it to convert to bullhorns? I know the bar itself is pretty straight forward but more so wondering about the brakes, old VS modern parts.

On Peugeots some have French thread on the bottom bracket and forks?
Go for 700c wheels .Try to avoid a helomatic free wheel on the back as they have French threads .
Later ones maybe better ..
The PX 10 is a cracking machine .

1644506194996.png

Fitting straight bars should not be a problem . Pull on old straight bar levers is not as good as modern levers imho .

Plenty of old parts on the net .
Not sure on what brands are available on your side of the pond . Pleanty of Raleighs ?

Which part of Canada are you {CAD ?}
I have been three times with the missus. It is a wonderful country .

Latest posts

Back