Project P7 ...

Re:

So with the frame more or less stripped of parts it was time to address the shitty clear coat and rust issues

2tMRcCK.jpg

The clearcoat had yellowed, crazed and chipped allowing water in creating rust scabs ...of which there were many :facepalm:

6UZYtoT.jpg

bHUfiF8.jpg

ija4E3e.jpg

ZTG1Bjs.jpg

GXC0yKN.jpg

Previously, i'd tried this Dial paint and varnish remover on Kona paintwork and internal, painted gloss doors it wouldn't touch the paint on either... i can't remember why i kept it but ... thought id give it a go on the Orange's clear coat amd to my amazement it worked... a couple of coats an hour apart and washed off with soap and water (washing up liquid)

zykLUPc.jpg

Applied with a paintbrush, consistency is thick so it clings to the metalwork...

XkuvWuN.jpg

KnuSLn6.jpg

7o0Fg7t.jpg

Having washed and dried the frame i was left with lots and lots of small rust scabs ...

bovKuOk.jpg

z0y7pq8.jpg

XRouXcq.jpg

eJFJYhx.jpg

3CNKHR1.jpg

oXlgrUo.jpg

GMYERPk.jpg

D14ukoB.jpg

Sprayed with fallout remover ...

bq1Y0g7.jpg

It was too hot to work outside :shock: so the frame was brought indoors and loaded onto the stand

UqlYkMG.jpg

I decided the best way to attack the rust scabs was to pick at them with a knife... a very laborious job but probably better than introducing more scratches with abrasives

uSPFsrl.jpg

93wA80s.jpg

A coat of Bilt Hamber Deox gel to tackle any remaining rust and finally ready for polishing :D

jRorgh3.jpg

Does anybody know what this little stub is for?

hvMxpQg.jpg

Chain hanger pin....
I also had P7 1997 - it was stolen about a year ago - with same rust problem, the lacquer was yellow with some light rust underneath, solved with very fine steel wool and a lot of elbow grease.
It’s looking great, awesome bike!

Back