Progress on the bike barn/man cave

The wife said my speakers are too big for the house so I decided to set this up in my bike barn. She probably won't be seeing me much nowđŸ€˜View attachment 531841
Really nice pistols, great shape for antiques. Ever shoot them? I sold my black powder Kentucky rifle in 1972, too much effort to clean it after you use it. I have recently gotten rid of 4 guns. I know people who have hundreds, which they collect for investment. I only have five. If you live in Texas you can legally own a machine gun, they have organized machine gun shoots, dah. One friend in Florida owns a howetzer, which is in his front yard and has a ship anchor attached to it. Every, picture, flower arraignment, stuffed chair and drawer in his house hides a pistol. He has an old huge bank vault with an 18 inch thick round door in his basement that’s packed with guns and ammo. Another friend goes out with so many pistols that he doesn’t know how many he has when I ask him. “Well, I dont rightly know how many, one in each pocket, one in each tool box, one under each truck seat, I think that’s 10”. An hour later “Oh, I forgot the one in my glove compartment. He has thousands, his floor and his tables all have partially disassembled guns. One deer season a bunch of people collected at our camp, which is made from old water pipe and aluminum sheeting screwed to them. We built it in sections and each season trailered another part and yanked them together with come alongs. No windows and a lot of mice. It’s small and everyone from other camps were visiting, assembled around a round table pounding shots of bourbon. Some fool yelled “let’s see the guns”. Wham, wham, wham, the table was covered in pistols fast drawn from their holsters. Everyone was passing them around, carelessly fumbling with them and looking down barrels. I was laying on a cot, the safest place to be. I think it was lucky no one was killed. Life in the USA, it’s ridiculous, no need for any of this gun glut.

I shoot, Beretta Silver Pigeon sport 32".

Working in the states recently I carried the Walther PPQ, but left it locked in the office safe at night, and on the boats it was the Canadian version of the M4 and the Sig 322. Fortunately we never had cause to make port in India!

A couple more of mine.

Workbench, with pillar drill, bench grinder, and climate controlled beer storage vault...

IMG_20220425_102614_599.jpg

And an assortment of bonce potties...

IMG_20220425_102629_503.jpg

I don't think I previously mentioned it, but mine is double glazed and the slightest whiff of the sun and it's pleasantly warm. Fairly overcast 10 Celsius outside, but a balmy 19.5 Celsius in the Shed of Cycling Obsession.

The wood burner is a mini one of this type...

Mine is different in detail, but more or less the same.

The flue is very small bore on the mini burners, from memory 3". Conveniently, you can buy piping to make car exhausts in this size so I used 3 lengths of stainless pipe with swaged ends that clamp together. Being stainless it ain't never going to rust.

Hole through the roof is, er, a hole. On the inside its a metal trim plate about 30cm square. On the outside it is something like this...

There is about a 2" gap/radius from the edge of the flue to the edge of the hole where it passes through the roof, and I packed this with layers of heat proof car exhaust wrap, the sort trendy folk put on their exhaust headers. As a result no significant heat gets transferred from the pipe the the wood.

And on the top outside is a little rain hat.

The flue is straight and passes vertically inside the shed, so it's heat is radiated inside and not wasted heating outside air. Once its up to speed it is very efficient and keep that space super hot. If im outside for a good while I'll start the fire with wood and after 20 minutes or so will switch to 3 or 3 lumps of coal, which glow slowly and maintain the temp for 5 or 6 hours.

To avoid death by asphyxiation I have fitted 2 vents covered with grilles at knee height, and have a Co2 detector for good measure.

The whole thing has been there since i built the shed a decade ago and its not burned down.

It's lovely out there playing with my bikes and the fire going when the snownis falling. Just me, my bikes, a cup of PG, and my pipe.

I'll get you some photos later if that helps.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The wood burner is a mini one of this type...

Mine is different in detail, but more or less the same.

The flue is very small bore on the mini burners, from memory 3". Conveniently, you can buy piping to make car exhausts in this size so I used 3 lengths of stainless pipe with swaged ends that clamp together. Being stainless it ain't never going to rust.

Hole through the roof is, er, a hole. On the inside its a metal trim plate about 30cm square. On the outside it is something like this...

There is about a 2" gap/radius from the edge of the flue to the edge of the hole where it passes through the roof, and I packed this with layers of heat proof car exhaust wrap, the sort trendy folk put on their exhaust headers. As a result no significant heat gets transferred from the pipe the the wood.

And on the top outside is a little rain hat.

The flue is straight and passes vertically inside the shed, so it's heat is radiated inside and not wasted heating outside air. Once its up to speed it is very efficient and keep that space super hot. If im outside for a good while I'll start the fire with wood and after 20 minutes or so will switch to 3 or 3 lumps of coal, which glow slowly and maintain the temp for 5 or 6 hours.

To avoid death by asphyxiation I have fitted 2 vents covered with grilles at knee height, and have a Co2 detector for good measure.

The while thing has been there since i built the shed a decade ago and its not burned down.

It's lovely out there playing with my bikes and the fire going when the snownis falling. Just me, my bikes, a cup of PG, and my pipe.

I'll get you some photos later if that helps.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. All makes sense to me. Any more pics gratefully received. I won't start building mine for a few weeks so have a bit of time to plan it out

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here you go.

Wood burner...

IMG_20220425_164008_248.jpg

Note the growing list of cleaned/repainted parts for my current project. The other bits are for a lawnmower I'm restoring, vintage mowers is my second passion after bikes.

The burner sits on a paving in slab with half a slab screwed to the wall behind. These act as shields for the nearby wood and do a good job for little outlay.

The chimney going through the roof...

IMG_20220425_164016_610.jpg

And the chimney poking out and standing erect, thrusting into the virgin skies of Mother Earth...

IMG_20220425_164109_975.jpg

The picture does not show it clearly but the chimney is about a metre tall above where it emerges through the roof. From this angle the apex hides it's true length. The longer the chimney the better the draw through the burner, and this draws beautifully.

Hope these are of help.

Back