Problem with Claris shifters - what's going on?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

Both shifters on my Boardman bike stopped working withing a couple of days one from the other.
As the left shifter was the one not working at all (the right one still sort of does) I turned my attention to it first. My first thought was that the cable housing was rusty and preventing the cable from sliding properly. I took the hood off, took the old cable out (was very gooey, probably from low quality lubricant) and replaced the housing which indeed was a bit rusty on the inside at the distal end.
New housing, new cable...same problem! The lever is very hard. Nothing is blocking it and the derailleur moves freely if I operate it with my hand. The cable guide under the BB is clean and lubricated.

Puzzled and frustrated, I fixed the derailleur position with the limit screws, so that it would stay on the outer ring, which is the one I use 95% of the time. Only when I took the bike off the stand I noticed the left shifter was "weird" with the two levers no longer aligned.
Pictures (below) will describe better than a 1000 words. Do you think something inside the shifter got bent? The bike is 1yr old and the sifter has always been VERY hard to operate. It didn't bother me because as I said I use the smaller chainring very rarely, but maybe there was an underlying problem?
Can these shifters be taken apart for servicing?

No they cannot be taken apart for servicing - not in any convential way like a campag shifter.

I find claris to generally be low quality, especially interms of life span.

Just get a new pair or run a different setup.

Grab the WD40 and a straw, blast every orifice of the shifter work it up and down the gears.

I got a new shifter two days after posting my initial message and have been enjoying it for the past 1500km

Well for future reference the factory grease dries up in shimano shifters, usually a blast out will coax it back.

Well for future reference the factory grease dries up in shimano shifters, usually a blast out will coax it back.
Yes I thought you gave a good shout.

I have gone one step further in the past and bathed the shifters in light oil over night.

I think the real issue with 8speed is - no one makes a good quality (shimano pull) shifter .
There are loads of campag ergo levers that are rebuildable and in my opinion really good, I just wish they worked with shimano 8 speed.
Or wish there is/was an easy work around.

I have had 8 speed campy ergo's work perfectly with shimano 7 rear block and campy derailuer, that is a perfect match.

Back