Poor quality work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad thing is when you are polite and conciliatory ( as I was ) and carefully and with humour point out that I took time and effort to get an impartial assessment which confirms; flaws due to poor prep, insufficient coverage, primer showing through, orange peel, matt finish as clear coat missing in parts, soft lacquer, chips...corroborated by LBS etc and then be told "that's not possible" is both ridiculous and cavalier

I know that feeling all to well, you complain politely and get no where, you shout and scream and you get listened to. I have numerous examples and I still cannot scream and shout.

I do think the letter Neil mentioned may be a good option - polite, pointing out defects and mentioning further action - not threatening.

Richard

The final comment was

'As I have said I am very sorry that you are not happy with the work we have carried out.
However as I have said I am satisfied that the work was carried out well.
I am not therefore prepared to redo the work or refund you.'

I did suggest that he look at the frame and the faults would be clear to see PLUS he can compare to other perfectly executed re-sprays at the same cost...

( PS. No apology for sending me a newly painted frame back, unwrapped, in a cardboard box with no dropout spacers.)

If it's that bad, and you have testimony from other professional sprayers that it is sub standard work (and for £200 on a frame I would be expecting A1), then why not go through small claims at County Court?

I would send formal notification that you intend to go down that route, give them 14 days to respond, and if you hear nothing send them a further letter that you will see them in court. The costs are not too prohibitive. You could go to the citizens advice first, or even a solicitor for professional advice. If the notification letter is sent through a solicitors, then you will probably get resolution before court.

http://county-courts.co.uk/county-court-claims/

Matt

^^^ as per my advice on page 4. If the Sheriffs are involved, make sure it is televised.

Richard

You know I'm curious about this paint job can OP can you post Hi Res pictures of whats wrong with it?
So many judgement calls needs assessment from others opinions?
Jay

GITANE80":1ak3r5ef said:
You know I'm curious about this paint job can OP can you post Hi Res pictures of whats wrong with it?
So many judgement calls needs assessment from others opinions?
Jay
Sorry about the delay:
Some defects like lack of clear coat / orange peel are hard to photo, but here are 3 flaws of many which the restorer said 'he couldn't see' from the photos: He also insists the flaws are a result of corrosion in the frame...

"I am afraid the only faults I can see are due to pitting from
corrosion which cannot be remedied."

there were some paint chips and surface corrosion on the chrome. The frame , he stated, was grit blasted, primed, 2 coats, colour 2 coats, lacquer 2 coats...so why does it look like a rattle can job?
Paint missing

Base coat showing through

Chips from previous paint not filled, the decals are supposed to be under 2 coats of clear coat, you could get a fingernail under the edge here...

Attachments

• missing paint.jpg
    missing paint.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 188
  • primer showing.jpg
    primer showing.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Cl8KKSrbjVQBmpAiiz7kuuvEjmPTffrEMwnHHcFuaVM.jpeg
    Cl8KKSrbjVQBmpAiiz7kuuvEjmPTffrEMwnHHcFuaVM.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 188
Doesn't look good on the photo's.

How far away are they? worth a trip out so they can look at it with you and explain why it looks the way it does? Very retrained of you not to mention them I guess.

Shaun

PS Mercian were pretty helpful when I enquired about refinishing my old pink Falcon, agreed that it's not really a RAL colour and would mix something up for me.

Right I've seen reactions like that and something was either not cleaned properly or the powder coat or paint got contaminated by thinners or a pre coat that was not wiped off or was too wet before the finish went on.
That is not delivery damage that's a paint reaction which in theory you have them bang to rights and as suggested by Midlife you need to show up and ask them what would cause a reaction like that?
I'm sure there are actual paint guys on here that can give you a firm more technical answer on the reaction!
I would be supremely pissed if that turned up on my door, and I've paid over 3K for paint jobs on cars so you can imagine I've seen it all, just like the ones you have pointed out!
I can confidently say you have grounds to slate them off for poor customer care if they have already seen those pictures and told you to do one!
Those guys you should name and shame them if they know and seen those reactions and done nothing about it!
I hope they are reading this thread of yours because I'm pissed just looking at that finish!
Jay

That's an awful paint job & the decals look to have been stuck on by a 5yr old
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back