Pinarello Banesto Team Bikes by Pegoretti ?

Here it is - very original apart from seatpost. I am presently in contact with a possible connection to the team at the time to see if we can determine which rider it belonged to. Based on geometry I am guessing Giovanni Lombardi who rode the TdF that year.

It is a Paris model, with distinctive shaped tubes, but pretty extreme geometry - very long and low. It has a rider number on BB in addition to frame serial no.

View attachment 576735
Beautiful bike - great stuff.
The custom geometry is very long - mine is 58.5 TT with a 56cm C-C seattube so a little stretched out.
I was looking at a PDM-Concorde and the claim was for a rider who was 5'6" but with a 58x58 frame with a repaint I thought it unlikely.

I researched a lot on the Banesto bikes in relation to Pinarello. I don't claim it's a definitive timeline, but it may help those with an interest in Banesto and not just Pegoretti:

1999 Banesto team riding alloy (Al) Pinarello bikes in blue Banesto paint scheme
1995-1998? Articles saying that Banesto Team were using Dedacciai oversized steel frames, including a blue "Vuelta" model in 1997/8. Dedacciai tig welded Dyna Lite referenced in regards Indurain's frame. Stelvio was a production cycle from 1993-8: I have found no evidence that it was actually used by the Banesto team, so I think this is one of the commemorative models when found in Banesto colours. Some discussion on Vuelta and Stelvio being very similar models.
1994 onwards: many "Banesto commemorative" models in white and Banesto colours based off standard range models
1994 Pinarello Oria Cromovan ridden by Banesto Team (no lugs to head tube). Suggested that Oria stickers were sponsorship only.
1993/1994 Pinarello official replicas: "Team" replica in Oria ML34 (some with Banesto decals, some with Pinarello decals only), "Replica" in Oria ML25 available as frame only or complete bike (Team had Record groupset, Replica had Veloce/Avanti/Mirage groupset)
1992/1993 Banesto team ride lugged Oria ML34 bikes; officially Pinarello but Indurain rides a Peggoretti-built bespoke frame badged Pinarello and other riders probably had their favoured builders too.
1992 Pinarello's top of the range steel framed production bike was the Montello
1990/1991 TVT (carbon tube, AL lugs) /Razesa Reynolds 653 frames (Spanish builder) supplied Banesto -sponsored bikes
Pre 1990: It was the "Reynolds" sponsored team

Last edited:
Hi
Sorry for not responding sooner.

I've become a bit more focussed on researching Dario's work in recent times and, whilst nothing is definitive in Dario's World, my current thoughts are as follows:

Dario built the TIG welded Pinarello frames used by Banesto, Telekom and a couple of other teams from approximately 1993 (Indurain's) to 1997 when he has written in his catalogues that he stopped collaboration with Pinarello.

The TIG Banesto team bikes used in 1993/94 were in effect custom models that loosely aligned with Pinarello's Cromovan catalogue model, with some detail changes.

These frames were made from Excell Podium tubing, which was Dario's preferred tubeset, and not Oria tubing as the bike decals suggest. Dario confirmed this to me directly. It has been written that the Oria decals were a sponsorship item, and the decals were removed later in the 1994 season from the team bikes.

Not all riders in the 1993 team were given TIG frames, but in 1994 most were.

The 1995 Banesto team frames used by the lead riders were in effect custom Pinarello Dyna, again with some non-standard details including custom geometry, external cable runs, and clamp-on FDs (not braze on)

The Dyna model used the new Dedacciai Dyna Lite tubing which Dario had been involved in developing (along with the Radius tubeset) Dario's writing about his involvement with these tubesets in his first catalogue in 1999 was a bit ambiguous, leading to the assumption that he designed and built all the Pinarello Radius and Dyna model frames using these tubes. He clarified this in the following catalogue where he clearly stated he was involved in the design of the tubesets, not the bikes.

In reality he likely built a small portion of these models for Pinarello, which was also contracting others to build its TIG frames by that time. The Radius continued to be built by Pinarello after Dario finished working for them.

I am not 100% sure what Pinarello model Banesto was riding in 1996. Deutsche Telekom started using Pinarello that year and in the TdF were riding the rare Pinarello Keral Lite model. This was an unusual ceramic alloy tubing, TIG welded, but I am not sure Dario was involved.

In 1997 both Banesto and Telekom (and a couple of other teams) were riding custom Pinarello Paris model frames.

I have been fortunate enough to acquire a 1997 Telekom team bike.

1997 was the last season/year that Pegoretti was building frames for Pinarello.

In the 1990's Pinarello gradually changed its range from lugged frames to TIG welded frames. I believe Dario was the only frame maker employed by Pinarello in early 1990's for TIG frames, and that he was involved in designing some of the details, such as crown forks, seat clamps etc.

Early TIG frames in the Pinarello catalogue such as the Maxim, Vuelta TIG and Cromovan are likely to have been made by Dario IMO. They were only produced in small numbers.

By mid-1990's there were more contractors doing TIG and being used by Pinarello. In my view, it is would be rare that a Pinarello not built for a professional team would have been built by Dario. I personally believe that the chances of having a Radius frame built by him are slim. Although he was responsible for the unusual tube shape design which gives them their ride qualities.

He was heavily involved in making pro rider frames by this time - up to 90 or 100 frames per season per team. He famously built 25 frames for Pantani in one season (which I believe was 1995)

The pro team Pinarello frames (built by Dario) are characterised by unusual geometry, some details of cable runs etc, race number carriers, and also a second set of serial numbers on the frame. Telekom team frames were numbered with a K prefix number, in addition to the standard frame serial number. These are the so-called rider ID numbers. By memory the Banesto frame numbers have a H prefix.

Pinarello confirmed one Banesto bike I have against a register I assume they hold, but they have not responded to more recent queries.

To my knowledge Dario did not built any of the lugged Banesto replica frames released by Pinarello - he was employed for his TIG expertise.

At present, this is my theory based on the people I have spoken to, including Dario before his passing, and reading the material available.
Cheers man, desperately need you're help identify or tell me more info. If you can mail me anyhow would be great. Thanks and appreciate you're knowledge

I'd look for the initial of the rider, the fame number for that rider, and the number of frames made that season for example, but for sure anyone with more expertise can better say. Question is, did Pegoretti build Banesto bikes others than for the riders ?
Every rider had 5 bikes. 1and 2 is training bike, 3 is race bike, 4 reserve on team car, 5 home bike

Back