Pinarello Banesto Team Bikes by Pegoretti ?

dadoflam

Dirt Disciple
Hi All
I would love to get some definitive information on the Banesto team bike frames made by Dario Pegoretti with a view of tracking one down in the long term. I have a soft spot for both Pinarello and Dario and this would be a great way to combine the two in one bike.

The 'best' information I have come across is that the frames built by Pegoretti were the Dedacciai dynalite tubing ones - in contrast to the Oria ML34 tubing frames used in other years. From the 'internet' the Dynalite frame team bikes seem to be distinguished by external cabling and forks with chrome fork blades and a painted crown with 'Pinarello' embossed on it.

Year of use by Banesto team has been indicated as 1994 although any pictures I have found of the team seem to have the bright Oria decals visible so very confusing.

Is the information solid about these bikes or is it largely conjecture.

chipper - good idea - email has been sent.
With a bit of forensic research it appears that Indurain's bikes in '93 and '94 were built with Oria ML34 tubing - the decals are pretty clear in many photos on the net.
Suggestion from one collector is that Dyna-Llite tubing was used in the Banesto team frames in '95.

Older post, but I picked up a Dyna in my size recently. It screams Dario, and it's the best riding bike in the stable. It just flat-out looks cool.

The bike looked like it had been hardly ridden, and the chrome and paint were both in 9.9 out of 10 shape. The decals were shot, so I replaced them with a good-enough replica set (seller in Hungary, eBay). I was going thru the exact same thought process as Dirt Disciple was after first learning of Pegoretti's, the story behind Dario's relationship with Pinarello, etc. Could't beleive it when the bike showed up on eBay...

Attachments

• E6FE8E82-52EC-410B-BF93-FE159D467384.jpeg
    E6FE8E82-52EC-410B-BF93-FE159D467384.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Re:

Great Bike - hang onto it.
A lot of water has passed under the bridge since my last post.
I visited Dario and interviewed him regarding the Banesto bikes
I am now the proud owner of the team bike ridden by Banesto rider JF Bernard in the 1994 TdF which Dario validated and signed. I was also very lucky to get a bike made by Dario just a month before he passed away.
His bikes are great to ride.

Attachments

• Homecoming - Signatures.JPG
    Homecoming - Signatures.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • s-l16008.jpg
    s-l16008.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 1,029
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 1,034
  • IMG_5800 Pegoretti with frame.JPG
    IMG_5800 Pegoretti with frame.JPG
    761.3 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Bernard 1 edited.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 983
  • Bernard 41.png
    Bernard 41.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 2018_TDU_LEGENDS_DINNER_0365_180120.jpg
    2018_TDU_LEGENDS_DINNER_0365_180120.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 1,031
All I can say is thanks for answering (knew there was a possibility of no one seeing it), posting a photo of the team bike, and I think more than anything, that picture of Dario. A priceless memory I'm sure...

Hi,

Lovely bike. How does it ride?

I've have 4 Pegoretti's and a Pinarello Radius built by Dario in 1997, they all ride wonderfully. Here's a few pics of the Radius I just built up.

Regards,
Toby

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 859
  • thumbnail3.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 854
  • thumbnail4.jpg
    thumbnail4.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 856
Reactions: CTK
Looks great Toby - always loved the chrome finish although a few less Pina decals on the frame would improve things even further. Do you know if Dario made all of the Pinarello Radius bikes, or just some? If there is clear evidence that he authored all of them I will have to put one on my shopping List.

Back