Peugeot Pro 753

See back page of the 1990 catalogue which shows your frame's colour scheme
https://classiclightweights.net/france/peugeot/1990-peugeot-catalogue

1623881903530.png
The 753 Pro is a quality frame and usually comes equipped with Shimano 600 or Campagnolo Chorus groupset. Not a repaint. 753 decal is original and correct. For info the "renovated" sticker for post 1989 Columbus frames looks like this if the resprayer chooses to indicate it!
1623881134064.png

Last edited:
See back page of the 1990 catalogue which shows your frame's colour scheme
https://classiclightweights.net/france/peugeot/1990-peugeot-catalogue

View attachment 549848
The 753 Pro is a quality frame and usually comes equipped with Shimano 600 or Campagnolo Chorus groupset. Not a repaint. 753 decal is original and correct. For info the "renovated" sticker for post 1989 Columbus frames looks like this if the resprayer chooses to indicate it!
View attachment 549847

Thanks, great to know and I did think the paint was original, as the buyer I bought from said he had owned the bike for the last 20 years and had no reason to doubt him. Yes, has the Shimano 600 groupset.
Would anyone be able to suggest some better suited wheels?

I agree that it appears to be original. I had one on the early 90s with Chorus (got a photo somewhere). It had Wolber profil rims on Chorus 7 speed (freewheel IIRC), but something like Mavic Open 4 CD would be appropriate, too.
Nick

If you want to stick with the French theme, then Mavic or Wolber rims on Shimano 600 hubs would be a good match as the previous poster suggested. If not bothered, lots of Italian rim choices too: Campagnolo, Ambrosio, Nisi etc with a lower section than those currently fitted . Do you want to run with tubular or clincher tyres? What speed is the rear freewheel currently fitted?

If you want to stick with the French theme, then Mavic or Wolber rims on Shimano 600 hubs would be a good match as the previous poster suggested. If not bothered, lots of Italian rim choices too: Campagnolo, Ambrosio, Nisi etc with a lower section than those currently fitted . Do you want to run with tubular or clincher tyres? What speed is the rear freewheel currently fitted?

Thanks. I think I will go for the Mavic Open 4 CD. Need to get a new rear cassette, as i think it should be 7 speed but it appears to be 6 on there.

Thanks. I think I will go for the Mavic Open 4 CD. Need to get a new rear cassette, as i think it should be 7 speed but it appears to be 6 on there.
You can fit either a 6 or 7 speed freewheel (your new wheel hub will need to be c.126mm). I only ask as sometimes steel frames have been cold set to the modern standard of 130mm to accommodate 8-10 speed cassettes. It's worth checking the distance between the rear frame dropouts.

Last edited:
I would expect a bike from the very late 80s to have a cassette rather than a freewheel. But you never know.
I'd say if you're buying wheels, go for a cassette rather than a freewheel set up. Stronger rear axle for one and probably lighter too

I would expect a bike from the very late 80s to have a cassette rather than a freewheel. But you never know.
I'd say if you're buying wheels, go for a cassette rather than a freewheel set up. Stronger rear axle for one and probably lighter too
Yes agreed the OP can go/stay on cassette if the hub is splined. I'd forgotten that Shimano offered 5,6 and 7 speed cassettes. 1624226781353.png

Last edited:
Back