Oscar Egg build now underway

First ride today, just round the local park. All went well and all the bits worked. Like the 5 speed Sturmey and love the crazy French brake levers!
It can all come to bits now for paint and decals (when I've decided on the colour) then it can go together properly.
Made some bar extenders +40mm each end - those GB flats were too narrow, the bits of black tape are holding them in whilst the Loctite Bearing Fit sets.
I'm going to change the 27" rims for 700c a soon as I can find another 36 hole one, and tidy up the cables etc on final build.
All up weight came out at 24lbs.
eb20.jpg
eb21.jpg
eb22.jpg
eb23.jpg
eb24.jpg

Looking good, glad to see you're giving the SA 5 speed ago. What year is your hub? and how did you run the cables over the bottom bracket..all looks very neat 👍

It's an S5.2 from 1983, came off a barely used Raleigh Courier - but the 5 speed thumb shifter was smashed so I replaced the rear wheel with a 3 speed AW one.
I built the 5 speed hub into a 27" Weinmann rim to use on a Raleigh Super Lenton which keeps getting pushed back in the queue, I think I'll keep it in this bike for a while but planning to swap the rims to 700c for a better choice of tyres.
The cables run in the brazed on derailleur guides on the top of the BB shell, seems to work fine - just had to add a cable stop to the LH chain stay.

Back