Orange R8 build

I had that xtr set up in rapid rise. Probably the best performing gears I’ve ever had!
I think it would be a bit daft for me not to use them now I have them, so it will be more a case of when, not if they go on.
I haven't set the XT brakes / shifters up yet, so it might make more sense to go with the XTR and if, after a while, I still feel the need to try the others, have a change.

After initially buying some Race Face Evolve XC, I decided to go with m660 SLX cranks because I've always like the look of them and thought they looked better. I bought a decent used set, but then found some NOS ones for a reasonable price.
IMG_20240103_142115.jpg
I decided to use NOS Chainrings as this will be my main riding bike and managed to source the 22t and 32t ones in 9 Speed. Another member kindly provided me with a 10 speed 42t one which will work, but if I do come across a 9 Speed, I'll change it.

I stuck with the XT in the end, mainly because I knew the brakes with the Shifter Levers had been bled/serviced recently and were in perfect working order. Also the other brakes I had were silver and I didn't think they would look right.

Full spec for those who are interested:

Frame: Orange R8 19" Reynolds 853 tubing

Fork: Fox 32 RLC TALAS

Headset: Hope
Stem: Race Face Ride
Stem Cap: Race Face
Handlebar: Race Face Ride
Grips: Ergon lock-on

Brakes: Shimano M775 XT Hydraulic Disc.

Brake Rotors: Shimano RT97 XTR

Shifters: Shimano M775 XT shifter brake levers

Front Derailleur: Shimano M770 XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M770 XT rapid rise
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SS
Cassette: Shimano M770 XT
Chain: Shimano HG52
Cranks: Shimano SLX m660
Chainrings: SLX m660
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
Pedals: Nuke Proof plastic

Rims: DT Swiss
Hubs: DT Swiss 240s
Nipples: Red
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Hutchinson Gila
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Flight Titanium reissue
Seatpost: Race Face Ride
Seatpost Binder: OEM

Weight: not known

Lovely bike, but my word those are some ugly ass shifters. What was Shimano thinking 🤔

Shifting with the brake lever on a mountain bike.... madness.

Lovely bike, but my word those are some ugly ass shifters. What was Shimano thinking 🤔

Shifting with the brake lever on a mountain bike.... madness.
They sure aren't pretty. I was curious to try and will reserve judgement for now (only 2 rides in), but who would buy them if I didn't use them??

Ooh nice work. I'm building one of these as one of my slow burners! I'm opposite in I was riding early 90s Oranges and missed these when they were out as I'd not seen them and probably a bit XC marketed for my interests at the time. So it's future nostalgia for me a newer version of my old bike. By all accounts are fab bikes to ride. Love the look of them and features too. Got DT Swiss Forks for mine and En521 Hope wheels . Just to decide on brakes and actually build it!

Ooh nice work. I'm building one of these as one of my slow burners! I'm opposite in I was riding early 90s Oranges and missed these when they were out as I'd not seen them and probably a bit XC marketed for my interests at the time. So it's future nostalgia for me a newer version of my old bike. By all accounts are fab bikes to ride. Love the look of them and features too. Got DT Swiss Forks for mine and En521 Hope wheels . Just to decide on brakes and actually build it!
Thanks. I've found it very nice to ride so far and it has certainly attracted a lot of attention from others.
I think Orange and Hope have always gone together, but I chose a different route.

Back