Orange Prototype Aluminium O

onion

Retro Newbie
I have an Orange Aluminium O which is a joy to ride. Since completing a tour of almost 700km last year in the South of France (without hiccup) I'm deciding to do it the justice of a make-over.

Does anyone know where to get replacement decals from? Orange themselves don't have anything to help. I've heard on the forums that theres a person Gil_M or whatever. How do I find this character?

Also I was wondering if anyone out there knew what the original spec was for the bike? Date of release etc?

Currently :

Shimano deore xt levers and thumbshifters
Raceface airalloy handle bars
YST Evolution
Orange stem
Deore xt crank (fc - mt60)
Deore xt cantilever
Shimano Biopace-hp chainring
Shimano Close front and back wheel quick release axel
Suntour Toppull front mech
Shimano deore rear mech
Lizardskins grips
Orange saddle
Mavic rims
Unknown slim hubs

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Orange-Prototype---7618.jpg
    Orange-Prototype---7618.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,481
Could be the Elite? Given the box section chainstay combined with regular seatstay.

Hadn't seen these catalogues before. Excellent resource.

If the 'Prototype' decal is original/authentic, the date of manufacture should tell us whether it's an O or an Elite. Look under the bb shell for an A number - e.g., A108 6840 was made in August 1991, but another format is that A9102 0354 was made in February 1991. I think an earlier date than that would suggest a protype of the O, whereas a later date would suggest a prototype of the Elite.

I thought the chainstays on the AluO were rectangular box section, and I'm not aware that it was available polished?
The chainstays on the Elite were a little more rounded.
I'd put my money on it being an Elite

The chainstays are rounded. I'll check the frame for a code.

Does anyone know what sort of brakes would have used the built-in mounts at the front and back? I'd like to put them back in action.

This would have originally had cantilever brakes - not the V brakes that you have at the mo.
If you have a look on the back of the rear mech there'll be a RD-Mnnn number.
Likewise, in the back of the cranks arms, there'll be a FC-Mnnn number.
Hopefully these will be the same or at least similar - which will then help you to tell which brakes were probably on it originally.

Carge":3bryprj0 said:
I thought the chainstays on the AluO were rectangular box section, and I'm not aware that it was available polished?
The chainstays on the Elite were a little more rounded.
I'd put my money on it being an Elite
Here is a silver O, although I do agree that they are rare (and I'm not sure whether it's polished or silver). And an early Elite to compare.

Attachments

• 1992 Aluminium Elite size 19.jpg
    1992 Aluminium Elite size 19.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • 1991 Aluminium O size 19 silver.jpg
    1991 Aluminium O size 19 silver.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1,326
Hi Anthony,
Familiar with that type of AluO - it's painted silver and sitting in the garage :)

The chainstays and seat stays are deffo more rectangular on the O - the Elite has round seatstays and the chainstays are a more oval / rounded rectangle.

To be honest - Onion's bike looks in pretty good condition. Given the potential rarity of the Prototype decal - I wouldn't remove it - unless Gil_M can do the biz!

Back