Orange Prestige refresh

Hi, no I don't think so. The chainset is boost and the front derailleur is e-type neither of which will work your Orange.
Thanks.
Turns out the cassette or chain set may be faulty. That's the ebay gamble I guess.

Next time it's frame set only.
I don't think any groupset is going to make a significant difference to the capabilities of a Prestige for most riders. It'll still be as fit as it was back then. Fitting an older groupset doesn't have to make it a concourse tier museum piece either.
I'm looking as much if not more for reliability and durability than for performance, if older components in excellent condition were falling from the trees I'd take them, newer isn't the point, I just want the bike to have a reasonable chance of lasting the day without something breaking on me. Of course I realise that no part is completely infallible just as I know that some of the older shimano stuff is as good, better even, than what can be bought today, assuming you can find good examples in tip top condition, the advantage with new stuff though is that its new and usually comes with some kind of warranty.

Obviously the market in general is pretty messed up right now, however this is a project that I'm much more interested in getting done right than in getting it done quickly, my experience with bikes as a rider is extensive, I'm fine with basic or intermediate maintenance, changing tyres, adjusting and maintaining brakes, gears cables and chains etc, but my knowledge in regards to the more technical side of bike building and restoration - especially when it comes to drive trains - is severely lacking, which is why I came here hopefully to learn more.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture(s) and spec of the bike so far.

2010 era Components are nice, they work and the basic shadow mechs were out and are pretty good. They should be cheaper but I think the mass sell off was a year or two back.

Brakes will be something like M770 or T780 as the best newest Shimano V's but the Deore are just as good really.
Or go Magura Hydro brakes (and there is another brand but I don't know them)

1x8 or 1x9 or 1x10 are all good options and relatively inexpensive. All should work with your wheels, and you can get wide range cassettes relatively cheaply, I'm using 11-40 on a 1x8 and also 11-42 on a 1x10 setup.
The 1x8 is just the original parts with a new cassette and chainring.
The 1x10 uses a Sram GX mech and a Shimano SLX crankset.
Check availability on new groupsets, lots of places list them online but aren't getting any stock in for a few months yet.

I'd go for a mix of old and newer parts - just replace what's worn out and modernise where appropriate. Whatever works. V-brakes etc. 1x8 works well for me on my clockwork - more than enough gears for my local trails, although I'd want a wider range for use on a "go anywhere" bike. New chain, cassette, wheels, headset etc (and possibly brakes) but old shimano mechs and shifters just seem to work for me even if they've had a hard life.

As pointed out 1 1/8" headset (later clockies and p7s) makes modernising much easier and opens up fork options, disc brakes on the front etc.

I think the limitations of the bike are always going to be geometry and lack of suspension so I can't see much point in trying to fit the latest components. It's bound to be a fun ride though.

Do you have a picture(s) and spec of the bike so far.
No pics atm, the components are a mix of DX and XT, the brakes are cantilever and actually seem fine. A mate who knows more about drivetrains has the bike right now and he's going to take a look at the rest to see what is good and what needs to go, I'll take some pics when I get the bike back from him.
1x8 or 1x9 or 1x10 are all good options and relatively inexpensive. All should work with your wheels, and you can get wide range cassettes relatively cheaply, I'm using 11-40 on a 1x8 and also 11-42 on a 1x10 setup.
The 1x8 is just the original parts with a new cassette and chainring.
The 1x10 uses a Sram GX mech and a Shimano SLX crankset.
Check availability on new groupsets, lots of places list them online but aren't getting any stock in for a few months yet.
I'd go for a mix of old and newer parts - just replace what's worn out and modernise where appropriate. Whatever works. V-brakes etc. 1x8 works well for me on my clockwork - more than enough gears for my local trails, although I'd want a wider range for use on a "go anywhere" bike. New chain, cassette, wheels, headset etc (and possibly brakes) but old shimano mechs and shifters just seem to work for me even if they've had a hard life.

As pointed out 1 1/8" headset (later clockies and p7s) makes modernising much easier and opens up fork options, disc brakes on the front etc.

I think the limitations of the bike are always going to be geometry and lack of suspension so I can't see much point in trying to fit the latest components. It's bound to be a fun ride though.
Thanks for the replies, very informative, I hope that some of what's already on the bike is worth keeping, I'll know more next week though.
I'm turning my attention to the frame, after my mate has given it the once over I'm going to tear it down and send the frame to the powder coaters, I am still undecided on colour though, it's currently black but I already have a black bike and fancy something different, I have ordered a set of replacement decals so it needs to be something that goes with orange. I have mocked up some ideas, all the colours are taken from what was popular in 1992, although none are classic 'Orange' colours.

Here's what I'm currently toying with...
colours.png

1 - White
2 - Gun metal
3 - Electric blue
4 - Forest green

What do you reckon? The template shows front shocks but ignore that as mine has rigid forks, I'm also open to suggestions and here's the blank template if anyone wants to have a mess around with it.
biketemp1.png

Got some pics, the bike needs a new crank set, I also bought a new cassette as the current one looks a bit worn. but apart from that all is good. I stuck some slicks on it primarily because the psycho II's seem a bit unreliable, although they look almost entirely unused, the gum walls are feeling a bit papery.

DSCF1189.JPG DSCF1188.JPG DSCF1185.JPG DSCF1183.JPG

DSCF1180.JPG

I also came up with a few more colour schemes, although I am beginning to lean towards keeping her as original as possible, some of the decals are in a terrible state and there's a point where keeping it original means keeping it looking tatty. See how it goes.

colours 2.png
5 - Blood red
6 - Magnolia
7 - Purple
8 - Petrol blue
9 - Dark orange

Back