Orange P7 e-commuter

Re:

The butter stays out. How am I going to spread hard butter?

Conversion cost was less than £350.

Christ knows what the bike cost me to build, it's always more than I think... This one did at least use quite a few stashed/free bits.

Great project, thinking of trying one myself now and have just ended up watching this video on one :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UJ2u-aaUNQ[/youtube]

This thing is amazing... just ridden up to the highest point around... it makes climbing so quick and doable... quite easy to sustain 10mph on really tough gradients. I can also maintain a constant 30mph pretty easily on the flat with the 25 km/h limit switched off...

Motor is very torquey so the mega wide range cassette is not neccesary. Actually it seems to have more power at low cadence, so it doesn't match my legs, but instead means that it's easier to "cruise" along at lower rpm. Also helpful for starting in too high a gear. I'm tempted to fit a close ratio block instead but it crossed my mind that in the event of battery failure in a hilly area it might be a godsend.

So far I've had 11 miles on one charge over very hilly terrain and with mostly full assist. I will update when the battery goes flat!

Load sensing works really well, just a tiny delay once you lean on the cranks, and it cuts out as soon as you ease off. Pretty natural feeling, especially at the lower assist settings, and lots of fun at full power.

The P7 build worked out really well. The On One forks feel great, the bars are also really nice (very stiff feeling for a swept bar - the brace at the front definitely does something) and the whole is super stable, quick and tough feeling. Pleased with the tyre choice too. All in all it's a good compromise for a go-anywhere setup. I'm in two minds about what to do with the brakes, discs would be an upgrade but I'd prefer to avoid hydraulics for ease of maintenance and I'm not entirely convinced by cable driven discs...

I went up to a favourite muddy, gravelly green lane this morning and wanted to blast it along there. Only the battery mount stopped me... would be real fun off road.

Good report, thanks.

Have you thought about Magura's? hydraulic and pretty much fit and forget.

Re:

mk one":2hupnrps said:
Good report, thanks.

Have you thought about Magura's? hydraulic and pretty much fit and forget.

:)

I have been thinking about Maguras actually, but not for this bike... ;) part of the reason I bought a later P7 was so I could run discs but maguras would be fun on one of my Clockworks...or something. I've never had a set.

I'll see how much I ride it and decide about the brakes then. I'm thinking a new set of Deore or similar hydraulic discs is probably a cost effective and low stress upgrade... But for the sort of riding I'm doing at the moment the V brakes are fine really... if it was a daily commuting tool then maybe I'd want something better but unfortunately my commute to work is now close to 40 miles so I'm driving... :(

Re:

Stupid question... for starters I don’t know anything about electric bikes. With no throttle, you just pedal and this thing turns on? The more you pedal the more on it is?

Would this work on a cannondale super v700? Or is a rigid bike better?

Re:

I’ve had no interest in electrical bikes... but this motor seems to be a very unique setup that crosses paths with vintage mtb. I attempted to do a deep dive for info on this kit. It seems to be at the very beginning. How did you find this setup? I’m in the USA, they push the $8000 ebikes on everyone... outside of those it’s the goofy front or rear wheel conversion. This really is a unique setup retrofit

Re: Re:

Scvintage":19wr05m7 said:
Stupid question... for starters I don’t know anything about electric bikes. With no throttle, you just pedal and this thing turns on? The more you pedal the more on it is?

Would this work on a cannondale super v700? Or is a rigid bike better?

Yeah exactly right.

I reckon a rigid bike is likely to be more straightforward. But a bouncy electric 'dale sounds fun too.

Re: Re:

Scvintage":j3i0inv9 said:
I’ve had no interest in electrical bikes... but this motor seems to be a very unique setup that crosses paths with vintage mtb. I attempted to do a deep dive for info on this kit. It seems to be at the very beginning. How did you find this setup? I’m in the USA, they push the $8000 ebikes on everyone... outside of those it’s the goofy front or rear wheel conversion. This really is a unique setup retrofit

I'd been looking at the more well established Bafang mid-drive kit which is similar - this is a newer thing and seems to be better in many ways, but the Bafang is also worth looking into and probably more info out there.

Back