Orange P5 frame No. MT 807.08245 Can anyone date the frame. Would be grateful for any help.

Colchester51

Retro Newbie
Just acquired this frame which needs sand blasting and painting. Most of the decals are present although scratched. I am not sure about the rear disc holder, as it looks like a later addition.

I believe 807 would be July 98. Forward facing seat clamp (see the slit) makes it after 97ish when they swapped from rear facing.

Rear disc mount looks slightly different to mine (a 97) but still similar so may well be original. I’ll have a look tonight

It looks quite small. They did go quite little. I have a Clockwork that is probably the same size - maybe 14 inch

It looks quite small. They did go quite little. I have a Clockwork that is probably the same size - maybe 14 inch
Thank you once again for your help. I am 73 and intend to really make this bicycle frame special. Would the original finish be powder coated or spray?,the decals were applied on top of the paint finish. And you finish the bike in original finish or orange or red. This is my tenth bike.

So the disc tab looks the same as mine now I'm looking at the pics on a monitor and not my phone. Looks like a Hope headset in there, which is good - and should do you well.

Original paint would have been sprayed, and there was also a nickel finish. The 1997 catalogue is linked below, although there is often some crossover with 1997 dated frames being built into 1998 bikes (mine is)

Orange themselves provide a service to respray/finish frames - they put them down the same line as the new bikes, but only use the current colour palette. Finish is very good, as you'd expect. I recall the cost being about £250-£300 from memory so way more than any old P7 frame is worth (yours around £50 given condition, but more with the headset). Mine has sentimental value so I was prepared to spend.

Powder coating is probably a cheaper option and brings up a choice of colours. You can do a lot of the prep yourself in respect of sanding back and rubbing down. Also gives you a chance to inspect the frame for any damage/rust. A search on here will likely bring up some pointers etc.

Good luck!

Pretty sure Orange had moved to powder coat by the time this frame was built? It's certainly what they use now. Think hard tail frames are £200 inc postage back?

I've had a few 14". Don't think they offered it every years but certainly did some times.

Back