Orange C16R converts into a purple 1993 Clockwork

Supreme

Dirt Disciple
Started a new project so thought I would document it here.

Having made it my whole life never owning a bike with more than more than one gear, a house purchase on the foot of the South Downs inspired me to get out exploring so I joined here and purchased an Orange C16R back in 2014. This one in fact.....http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=30

Made a few changes but more importantly rode it. Have explored lots of the South Downs way, Downslink and even got a cycle rack for the car and took it further afield. Kept on top of it, stripped it, re-greased stuff, cleaned it, etc. Really love the freedom of pace and lack of pressure I feel compared to riding fixed on the road or racing BMX as I used to do.

I loved this C16R so much I even got the wife one so we could ride out together.
47984125726_1024a30e91_b.jpg

For some reason it had started to rust in a few places, seemingly from the inside out, despite me never getting it excessively wet and I like to keep things fresh so decided to look out for a new frame and was offered a 1993 clockwork in fetching purple.

Upon arrival I have de-greased it to remove all the years of film which left the paint quite flat as below.

47984125191_c224a34f60_b.jpg

Over the weekend I have begun to restore the paint, found a good nail varnish match to touch a couple of chips and just needs a wax and seal before I start stripping down the white C16R for the rebuild.

Re:

I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

I like the fact you bought the missus one too. I’ve been tempted to to the same under her condition that she can pic any colour for re powdercoat.

I’d highly recommend PC rather than wet paint on these. The finish just seems much more durable and it’s not too expensive.

Here’s link to mine I have finished only week or so ago.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397169&start=10

Still can’t bring myself to ride it tho as silly as that sounds, cos it looks so new! :facepalm: .....

Looking forward to seeing the progress....

Started a new project so thought I would document it here.

Having made it my whole life never owning a bike with more than more than one gear, a house purchase on the foot of the South Downs inspired me to get out exploring so I joined here and purchased an Orange C16R back in 2014. This one in fact.....http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=30

Made a few changes but more importantly rode it. Have explored lots of the South Downs way, Downslink and even got a cycle rack for the car and took it further afield. Kept on top of it, stripped it, re-greased stuff, cleaned it, etc. Really love the freedom of pace and lack of pressure I feel compared to riding fixed on the road or racing BMX as I used to do.

I loved this C16R so much I even got the wife one so we could ride out together.
47984125726_1024a30e91_b.jpg

For some reason it had started to rust in a few places, seemingly from the inside out, despite me never getting it excessively wet and I like to keep things fresh so decided to look out for a new frame and was offered a 1993 clockwork in fetching purple.

Upon arrival I have de-greased it to remove all the years of film which left the paint quite flat as below.

47984125191_c224a34f60_b.jpg

Over the weekend I have begun to restore the paint, found a good nail varnish match to touch a couple of chips and just needs a wax and seal before I start stripping down the white C16R for the rebuild.
Hi Supreme, I am new here on the Retro MTB forum. I came here when i was searching for info on my 1993 Orange Clockwork which is the same colour purple as yours ( though your frame looks much cleaner then mine ) Can you let me know which nail varnish match you found as i need to touch up a few areas on my bike.
Thanks in advance.
PS. Also need some new decals. Did you need to replace the one's on the frame?

Back