Orange C16-R - *Update 07/07/2011*

Christoph2.8i

Dirt Disciple
As well as my Orange Ms Isle I also own an Orange C16-R which I have had since new (1996 i think!)

It has had lots of use but it is still in really good condition.

I stripped it back to it's frame today, i am going to give it a good clean up and clean all the group set and replace any knackered parts.

Would love to get some old XTR parts for it. It has an XTR font mech and the rest is Deore LX.

Anyway, here are some pictures!

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Chris

Super frame, 1997 model (although that is still consistent with your having bought it in 1996).

I thnk the decals are 97 decals and from my observations you can tell the difference from the lack of a canti bridge. On the other hand, Orange were always a bit scatty compared to other makes, and sometimes introduced changes piecemeal, so I would never swear that canti bridge means 96/earlier, no bridge means 97/later - but nevertheless I think that is generally true.

The serial number (under the bb shell) will tell you when the frame was made, but even then a late 96 date probably indicates a 97 model. I expect it will be something like say A609xxxxxx, meaning built by A-Pro in the 9th month of 1996.

thank you for that, good to know!

i managed to get some parts cleaned up and put back on the frame.

cleaned and fitted the bottom bracket, LX chain set, XTR front mech, XT rear mech, Ritchey Logic Seat Pin.

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

not sure what forks i should fit? Might go back to basics and fit the original rigid forks for now, what do you think?

image-5.jpg

Chris[/img]

Wow!

Hardly looks used!

I'd go rigid for a bit see how you like it. Think you will be surprised if you have got used to a bit of bounce. Its refreshing.

Such a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

The F7 fork is superb, light, compliant, fun.

Incidentally, if it has had an ahead steerer and headset since new, that is further evidence of its 97ishness, as I'm pretty sure the 96 ones had threaded systems.

The bright blue colour looks really good. It was the 'elegant' alternative to the famously loud Slime Green option.

Attachments

• 1997 C16R size 15 frame £50 w wtb 98SSTX.jpg
    1997 C16R size 15 frame £50 w wtb 98SSTX.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,409
Yes it's had the ahead set from new. I bought the C16 as a frame set and then bough a groupset, wheels, bar, stem etc...I fitted the diacomp ahead sets then.

I remember the slime green! I very nearly got it in that colour but I remember thinking the blue looked a lot nicer.

GoIng to go for the rigid forks for now. Haven't ridden a rigid bike for a long while.. I am used to my other long travel hardtail!

Chris

That blue is lovely :cool:

Think I might have to keep an eye out for one in that colour for my collection.

Can't wait to see it fully built up & back out on the trails

Orange C16-R - Small Update

Thanks for all your comments :D

Trial fitted the rigid forks toight just to see what they looked like and I must say they look pretty good!

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

.....and a picture of my other x2 toys!! :LOL:

IMG_1462.jpg

Chris

Latest posts

Back