Opening up my Judy XC after 15 years...

pedalhead":2rozo0eh said:
I'm thinking I'll put some fork oil in the lowers to slosh around a bit too. Any reason that might be a bad idea?

Fork oil would degrade the elastomers so I wouldn't recommend putting any in the lowers.
Instead liberally apply Judy Butter or Pace RC-7 grease all over the elastomer stack and the bushes and remember to strip them down and clean them at least once a year.

Service guide here: --> http://www.drystonepaul.com/maintenance ... h_1996.jpg

pedalhead":2136ckee said:
2012-04-25-20-00-48.jpg

[/url]

what are these called?

They are the original Judy Jax MCU's, though in the picture they are 'dry', knackered and will not make the fork work as good as it could. But they are one step better than a pile of dust. Good to keep as spacers if the springs don't come with them
They are different to your standard 'elastomer' by being an expanded foam, like gym mats possibly.

FluffyChicken":1qbmf0pk said:
They are the original Judy Jax MCU's, though in the picture they are 'dry', knackered and will not make the fork work as good as it could. But they are one step better than a pile of dust. Good to keep as spacers if the springs don't come with them
They are different to your standard 'elastomer' by being an expanded foam, like gym mats possibly.

I opend up my FSX a while back and all of this "thingy" came like it was dried mudd. What do you guys thinks are the best options for replacements? (sorry no intentions of hijacking the thread)

cheerio

Don't put any fluid in the legs as they are designed to run on grease as a lubricant. How bad is the corrosion on the back of the leg? Good trick is to clean up the damaged area as well as can be, then loosen top bolts at the crown and rotate the leg so the better side is facing forward. That should give you a better/smoother action and take the pressure of the already worn side. Obviously this won't work if it's worn all the way round.

Good thinking cheers. It's worn all the way around, but to a varying degree I think. Sounds like I should ditch the oil from the lowers. All useful stuff thanks.

Latest posts

Back