RockShox Judy XC 95 rebuild help

ishaw":1mrc6rbv said:
That black bit isn't for the damper if memory serves, it sits inside the top adjuster and you fit a spring inside it. The white bit fits on the damper shaft and the spring or elastomer sits on that when all put together. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, makes perfect sense and if this bit hadn't appeared almost from nowhere and looked anything like the other adjusters pictured I'd easily agree. But because they don't I'm not too sure? However, I think that the second "spare set" had already been bastardised and it's possible the adjuster caps fell into the stanchions when they had a dry spring setup put in them and that's what I'm finding now? The more I think about that the more I think you're right that it's a top adjuster bit. I'll discard it and carry on without it.

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply! :)

I could be slightly wrong above about the position. It actually looks like the part that works with the type 2 spring kit, so fits at the bottom of the spring mounted at the top.under the adjuster, allowing the elastomer stack to join up with the spring.

ishaw":9h40jjas said:
I could be slightly wrong above about the position. It actually looks like the part that works with the type 2 spring kit, so fits at the bottom of the spring mounted at the top.under the adjuster, allowing the elastomer stack to join up with the spring.

That sounds feasible and I think you've hit the nail on the head! By 'bastardised' I meant there were some red springs fitted in my spare set - so that must be what the black bits are for and why I hadn't noticed them until now because I needed to swap the stanchions over! I's already stripped the internals out ages ago and the black part was obviously left behind!

I've just rebuilt the left leg with oil damper and a NOS Kronos spring and it's all gone back together perfectly! A quick cuppa now then it's onto the dummy leg and I'm all done! Fully built pics to come!!

Thank you Mr Shaw - I owe you a beer! :)

Finished! Given that I'm not at all mechanically-minded but I'll have a go at anything (and usually something breaks or never works the same again!) im hhiffed to say my Judy XC forks are now fully reassembled!

Thanks to all contributors on this thread particularly ishaw for tonight's rescue! And credit where it's due to GT-Steve for his thread here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=60

Need to degrease the outer safer getting Judy (SRAM) Butter everywhere then the new RS stickers can go on. :cool:

Re: Re:

Gruff":jqkvm7f6 said:
Looking good :D

Did you manage to find any seals?

No I still haven't, Gareth. I lucked out on these which came on a full set I bought off scant. Gave them a clean and discovered that under the crud caked on the surface they were immaculate! Which is ironic because the first set of Judys I bought on eBay had completely unmarked outers but scratched stanchions, knackered wiper seals and a leaky damper cartridge. Scant's Judys had rough, scratched and chipped outers but mint internals for a fifth of the cost :oops: :LOL:

Hi Guys. Aquired 96 Kona Kula with siezed Judy XC (Cartrige System) forks. Blue crumbly stuff dropped/chiseled out, along with no oil and no springs whatsoever??!! Your pics saved me a ton, thanks (how d'you post-em?&%??) coz at least I now know the internals in each fork SHOULD BE different, Phew! Any suggestions/experiences on which direction to now follow (conversion kits?) in order to get things moving would be much much appreciated. If could e-mail I could then post a pic...they say it saves a thousand words.

bantamsuper":si4le4ix said:
Hi Guys. Aquired 96 Kona Kula with siezed Judy XC (Cartrige System) forks. Blue crumbly stuff dropped/chiseled out, along with no oil and no springs whatsoever??!! Your pics saved me a ton, thanks (how d'you post-em?&%??) coz at least I now know the internals in each fork SHOULD BE different, Phew! Any suggestions/experiences on which direction to now follow (conversion kits?) in order to get things moving would be much much appreciated. If could e-mail I could then post a pic...they say it saves a thousand words.

Hi man
Take a look at GT-Steve's rebuild thread here for the best tips & guides on rebuilding a July fork: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198073&start=60

The crumbling stuff you've got will most likely be the original MCU (micro cellular urethane) springs that be disintegrated. The drive side lower leg is hollow with a "dummy" damper shaft. The non- drive side (left) lower leg has the oil-filled damper. Most people like myself replace the original MCUs with a 'dry spring'. Mine are the Kronos ones, but there are others. Or suspensionforkparts.net sell replacement polyurethane springs if you prefer those.

As for posting pics there's a guide on the forum somewhere to help you. Usually you can upload by attaching a file or you can host on a photosharing site like Photobucket, Dropbox or Flickr and post the links into here. Hope this helps and good luck :)

Back