One For the Forum Dads - First Proper Bike!

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So, my nephew (13yrs old) has recently started dipping his tow into MTB.

He's got a couple of friends who are into it, and lives in the North of Scotland, so enviable landscapes all around!

Lucky little sod, in more ways than one...

Anyway, he's after his first proper bike for his birthday this year, and Dear Old Uncle Phil has been enlisted to help.

Only problem is, Dear Old Uncle Phil's interest in mountain bikes ends around 1998, which means the kid's requirements for this bike are far beyond my knowledge and skillset.

Which means I'm looking for some help and advice!

His requirements: a full suspension model, well of course. Sized small. 27.5".

And that's about it!

He's fine with it being secondhand, although he's not keen on retro. Understandably! He doesn't have a preference in terms of the company/brand/colour/spec, but of course I have my own ingrained preferences and biases.

So where does that leave me?

Obviously, me being me, I want to get him something nice, and I'll update this thread with a budget once I get his parents and grandparents on board to let me know what we'll be working with. I'd like to have something sorted by around May (his birthday is June) so that he can have something to ride by the time summertime hits proper.

So, any do's or any don'ts? Any companies/builders/eras I should be searching for on eBay and Pink Bike? Any of you or your kids got anything you/they have grown out of?

I don't imagine we'll have silly money to spend. Also, he's 14, and still got plenty of growing to do. Which means I'd imagine we're looking at something that's only going to last a couple of years before he'll need a larger size/upgrade. That also means that, within reason, I'd be interested in anything he might grow into.

Right, who wants to tell me where I should start with this modern bike for a teenager malarky?

PS. I'm not interested in brand new bikes for two reasons: cost, and wait time. I can't imagine, with the state of everything at the moment, that getting anything new is going to be remotely achievable within our budget and time frame.

Last edited:
That’s still going to cost even secondhand.
Don’t get hung up on brand, go more by condition.
If eBay, keep search local and go and see it. Lots to go wrong with secondhand full suss. Check serial number against stolen bike register.
Never bought on Pinkbike but heard both horror stories and successes. Look at Singletrack classifieds as well.
Had good luck on Gumtree as well.

Modern parts supply not great or cheap, so beware anything that needs replacing soon.
Worst pitfalls are buying something that needs any suspension work as this will cost a lot unless you know what you are doing. Most bikes you’d be looking at £40-50 for the bearings alone, if they are shot.

Tricky one, and not made any easier by you being across the pond.
I had a similar dilemma when my Jimmy was getting bored at the age of 13 of being left behind on a 1992 Rigid Claud Butler Cape Wrath. All very nicely spec’ed and Retro cool but it wasn’t cutting it.
We had a look around but; A I didn’t know what I was looking at, B it was all stupidly expensive seeing as he seemed to be growing an inch a month.
I basically gave him two options.
1. cheap but new Halfords special/skip filler
2. I’d find him something turn of the century, 26” full suss and I’d loan him some quality kit till he out grew it.
He picked option 2, @Splatter Paint ‘s old Marin, got dressed in full XTR.
His mates loved it and regularly queued up to take turns as it was about half the weight of their bikes and climbed like a mountain goat.

None of this helps of course! 🤣🤣
FF6595B2-1DE2-4D4E-96A2-C0D001A33320.jpeg

It'll all depend on budget tbf. Post 2014 Orange 5 would be a good call due to the simplicity of single pivot but might be a bit spendy. After that I guess a Calibre Bossnut would work, or one of the Boardman's?

Older Stumpy?
TBH I would be looking for a better front suspension bike. He will want discs that's for sure. Nothing will scream old to his mates more than v-brakes

Calibre bossnut. seriously underrated, can be had second hand from 800 quid up. stock used fairly bomb proof bits, so not a lot to change unless shagged.
Kona precept 120. as above, but a bit more expensive from new for decent spec. one on sleazebay for 700 quid at the moment.

both available second hand.
both capable bikes with easy to maintain parts.

budget obviously dependent.

or make him grow a pair and ride a hardtail. :)

Guys, thanks so much!

All this is exactly what I'd hoped for: a start and some suggestions for where and what to begin looking for!

@Peachy! Now that is the kind of bike I would LOVE to build him. But as you say, me being here means the chance of me being able to convince him to go this route, and me being able to pull it off from afar and in time is basically nonexistent.

@dablk I tried to explain a hardtail might be a better, more affordable option, considering his age and mechanical/budget limitations, but that fell on deaf ears!

The heart ego wants what the heart best mate wants has, after all.

He is 13!

@novocaine Will take a look at all those shortly, thank you!

@brocklanders023 Likewise!

As for getting him to grow a pair and go hardtail, I proudly showed off the recently finished Marin, the Spesh (complete with first viewing of Dirt), 80% of a WTB Phoenix, and the bare bones of a Bontrager, while he was just over here for Christmas...

...and absolutely zero-fucks were given!

The old penny farthings Uncle Phil is interested in barely raised an inquisitive eyebrow!

Even the guy in the bike shop fanning out on the minty Suntour group on the Marin when we popped in didn't stir those barely pubescent loins of his.

which bit of scotland? might be best to get directed to a decent shop.

I'd push him away from an FS as it will a) blow the budget b) a newbie mountain biker really doesn't need one c) hardtailz bring the skillz and d) he only wants one cos is mates have got some BSO POS from halfords with a pogo stick attached to back.

anyway , rant over.

the in UK VooDoo and Vitus are well respected volume brands from Halfords and Chain Reaction cycles.

The VooDoo bizango is consistently recommended by bike mags over here as a good entry level bike. However, it seems to have jumped a bit in price since I looked at it last so the Horde is a better bet:

Vitus Nucleus:

Otherwise, as already said - bossnut is the default choice for cheap/value FS bike. From Go Outdoors (but out of stock)

this looks pretty good for £450

Pauls Cycles is always good for some bargain hunting too. Plenty of Cubes and Giants.

If its was my money , I'd be having the nucleus (or its 29er equivalent), although I do think 27.5 is better for smaller riders.

Back