ONCE's Last Teambike in 2003

gridno27

rBotM Winner
… here my 2013 project. It isn’t a retro bike – but it has all conditions to become one in future. Here are one of the last Team bikes of the legendary ONCE-Team. This is a 2003 re-build replica based on the specification of Igor Gonzales de Galdeano’s PRO Bike
Such a bike was also ridden by Alberto Contador Velasco in 2003, when he worked with his explorer the great Manolo Saiz of Eroski- ONCE Cycling Squad.

IMG_0280_75.jpg IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0296.JPG

here are the specification of the bike

Frame/forks ONCE-Eroski Giant TCR Composite, size L
Headset Campagnolo Record integrated (but only optical – technical a FSA CF Orbit)
Stem Cinelli “Solida” 120 mm
Handle bar Cinelli “Groove” 440mm … sorry I still looking for a “Solida”
Seat post Giant SL Carbon composite Aero, size 3 by Mike Burrows
Saddle Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Pedals Campagnolo Record
Group Set Campagnolo Record 10s
Wheelset Campagnolo Neutron tubular
Tires Hutchinson Carbon Comp … still looking for ONCE Edition
Bottle Cage still missing … Tacx Tao

Total weight 7.45 kgs incl. pedals

Last edited:
Fantastic !
Here's a piccy of me on my aluminium time trial Once Giant at a National Champs race a few years back , 2004 .

Really wanted the carbon version when they came out , but couldn't afford one . :(
Mike

Attachments

• Me flying along !.jpg
    Me flying along !.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,448
... nice pic and really great TT-Position - sorry you interested in Giant SL Aero seatpost in size 4 to optimize your TT-bike ... I still have one in NOS in my stock

This Frame was really rare in Europe, esp. in Germany. Most of them sold to US. This Frame also build with German Telekom Team too.
Our local Giant Flaggstore has a frameset of Telekom.

Thanks for the offer , but I actually have one for sale .
It was on the bike until I did a turbo session with clubmates , who pointed out to me just how much it flexed . Hence the use Alien I think it was .
I think they were running 9 speed back then too , but I may be wrong .
Mike

… here my 2013 project. It isn’t a retro bike – but it has all conditions to become one in future. Here are one of the last Team bikes of the legendary ONCE-Team. This is a 2003 re-build replica based on the specification of Igor Gonzales de Galdeano’s PRO Bike
Such a bike was also ridden by Alberto Contador Velasco in 2003, when he worked with his explorer the great Manolo Saiz of Eroski- ONCE Cycling Squad.

Headset Campagnolo Record integrated (but only optical – technical a FSA CF Orbit)
Pedals Campagnolo Record

Pedals Campagnolo Record

Very nice

Very nice build. I’m embarking the the same build with a Shimano equipped donor bike, so your specifications are very useful, especially around Campagnolo wheels, which I wasn’t sure about. I did notice that your front forks don’t look correct???

Attachments

• 950737E4-C645-43F2-846E-3FA6F47A75D4.jpeg
    950737E4-C645-43F2-846E-3FA6F47A75D4.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 37
  • C9D35FE4-D4F2-42DD-9F36-7A3EEBBA3AE5.jpeg
    C9D35FE4-D4F2-42DD-9F36-7A3EEBBA3AE5.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 38
The only road bicycle I like, the Giant TCR with Once colors ... yours looks fantastic. The logo with the guy and the stick, the design ... what a great era and memories. 😍

The only road bicycle I like, the Giant TCR with Once colors ... yours looks fantastic. The logo with the guy and the stick, the design ... what a great era and memories. 😍
I still think this ONCE bike is a beauty, even if it doesn’t have a ounce of yellow on it

Attachments

• CC004922-6580-433F-841B-C92EAD281BA8.jpeg
    CC004922-6580-433F-841B-C92EAD281BA8.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 27
  • C39E5A2E-FBD9-493D-923A-E0AA36BA7138.jpeg
    C39E5A2E-FBD9-493D-923A-E0AA36BA7138.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 26
Very nice find. The fork has been replaced. The Team Once had grey decal on it vs the yellow and white one yours has which came off a 2004 TCR ultegra.

Latest posts

Back