On balance, I still am not a fan of e-bikes (previously known as ‘I just don’t get E bikes’)

But I've heard these arguments regurgitated over and over again, studies that nitpick to the point where the conclusion is that walking is likely to be one of the worst things you could do for the planet.

Better get me electric wheelchair

Run over pedestrians in your Tesla to speed up the regenerative green powers of Musky Elon. One less footsie.

I think this debate is ongoing and important and , as yet, unresolved.

Hard to see the point of recreational riders on dirty great electric mountain bikes. Then again, hard to see the point of fitness riders riding super light carbon frames...

Any time an ebike journey replaces a car journey that has to be good news right? The fact that the car journey 'should' have been replaced by walking or a normal bike is irrelevant in the real world surely?

To be fair and think the biggest problem @2manyoranges said has been missed. The physical damage they do to trails (most likely not-ebikes as such by legal definition), that spoils it for the rest of us.

Yes the trail damage is very distinctive in singletrack - we had some people on hEUge E-bikes doing ‘best time Strava Laps’ on one singletrack loop and they were just hacking up the surface so quickly….

Just reflecting on other impact, I just have seen the difference in two piles at the back of busy bike workshops: between the piles of tyres and chainrings and alloy rims and steel frames and other bits which ARE going straight to recycling. And the piles of broken motors and defective batteries which AREN’T.

Which does bother me.

Well, they are missing a trick not putting the batteries on eBay etc as likely someone will buy them to strip the cells out of them, and reuse the ones which are working. Wouldn't mind betting there would be a market for broken motors too. My friend sells his broken rear mechs on eBay - and there are always takers.

It potentially does to me. It's all about work done. Humans are not terribly efficient at converting food into work (and the food might have components which have been transported all around the world or be otherwise carbon intensive). Electrical energy might be generated locally eg solar panels or at scale with the accompanying efficiencies eg wind turbine.
That seems a false equivalent. Did they actually calculate how much less food the rider consumed on the electric bike? The bike rider was getting less of a workout, so they pushed away the plate?
Simply put, there is no product which will be able to save us from the problems caused by consumerism. To say anything otherwise is simply denialism on the part of industry.

Recycling is still an industrial process requiring transportation, chemistry, waste, and emissions. It is never going to be the same as not needing electric components. Electric as replacement for combustion is a step in the right direction, but e bikes are replacing conventional bikes for recreation in our little niche. That is the problem that we're ignoring. These are mountain bikes, not commuters

Recycling is still an industrial process requiring transportation, chemistry, waste, and emissions. It is never going to be the same as not needing electric components. Electric as replacement for combustion is a step in the right direction, but e bikes are replacing conventional bikes for recreation in our little niche. That is the problem that we're ignoring. These are mountain bikes, not commuters

Question is - would these people be cycling at all without an ebike? Maybe not. Do we want more people mountain biking or just those who can ride a non-eMTB? Either answer can be valid imo.
That seems a false equivalent. Did they actually calculate how much less food the rider consumed on the electric bike? The bike rider was getting less of a workout, so they pushed away the plate?

No idea. But I know if I do a full day non-eMTB riding, I eat more than I would do otherwise. But maybe others here don't.

Back