Sold Olmo Olimpic w/ complete Dura Ace refurbished Gold large steel road bike

ptkn

Retro Newbie
Olmo Olimpic Competition refurbished Dura Ace large 60cm steel road bike

The Olmo Olimpic was part of the road bike series of Guiseppe Olmo's bicycle manufacture in Celle Ligure, Italy.
The bike presented here has been one of Olmo's completely outfitted with rare Shimano Dura Ace 7700 parts! The frame is made of Columbus Aelle tubes.
This bike is one of the classic steel frame bikes that came out of Italy and rides like a dream while also being suitable for any vintage cycling event.

I'm forced to sell this bike as I live outside of the country, have to reduce the number of bikes I own, and it is simply wasted sitting inside unused. The paint job is especially unique and even more beautiful in real life, and this Dura Ace 7700 is one of the best group sets I have ever ridden. 7700 looks amazing, the shifting is so crisp and sharp, and the wheel hubs spin so smoothly. I built this up trying to achieve a perfect modern steel road bike spending a lot of time and money searching down the perfect parts - no compromise!

The complete(!) Dura Ace group set is the most modern group set that matches this frame in terms of looks. Integrated shifters work as new with their matched derailleurs and newly replaced cassette and chain. The group set is professionally cleaned, tested, and installed with the Dura Ace parts that are built to last; it performs as new.
The wheels are strong and light Mavic Ceramic rims laced onto beautiful matching Dura Ace 7700 hubs that spin for days. Included with Challenge tan/gum sidewall Strada Bianca 300 TPI Clincher Road Tyre 700c x 25mm
The frame has a custom high quality rugged champagne gold paint with original vinyl decals sealed under the protective clear final lacquer coat. There is also fresh chrome on the fork lugs which pop magnificently, perfect motivation on those long climbs :). Designed to match the decals perfectly there are "Olmo Red" highlights on the frame lugs.
The saddle is a matching Cinelli Unicanitor swede Brevettata saddle with a brand new lightweight upgraded Thomson seat post to save weight. The dropouts and headset are Campagnolo. The bottom bracket shell Cinelli.

It is generally a super high quality, build and the frame and wheels are absolutely perfect. From the photos you can see some minor scratches on some of the group set components which are purely cosmetic (and if they weren't there this complete groupset would be worth double just on its own!)
Made in Italy
• Used, in perfect refurbished condition
• Top tube: 60cm (c-c)
• Seat tube: 60cm (c-c)
• Dropouts: Campagnolo
• Rear spacing: 130mm
• Bottom bracket: Italian Shimano Ultegra
• Cranks: Dura Ace 7700
• Chainrings: Dura Ace 7700 (52t - 42t)
• Cassette: 9 speed Shimano
• Front & Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7700
• Front & Rear Brakes: Dura Ace 7700
• Headset: Campagnolo Record (1")
• Stem: Cinelli 1A
• Handlebars: 3T Ergo Power
• Seat Post: Thomson Elite (26.8mm)
• Saddle: Cinelli Unicanitor Brevettata
• Front Hub: Dura Ace 7700
• Rear Hub: Dura Ace 7700
• Rims: Mavic Open SUP Ceramic

£900 -> £750

*Local pickup is preferred, but I can help to arrange a courier if buyer pays and accepts the terms their insurance. Can drop the bike off within a reasonable distance from Aylesbury, Bucks.

Attachments

• 01 outdoors side full.jpg
    01 outdoors side full.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 02 front brake.jpg
    02 front brake.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 04 drivertrain.jpg
    04 drivertrain.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 06 seat.jpg
    06 seat.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 07 rear wheel.jpg
    07 rear wheel.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 08 driv outside.jpg
    08 driv outside.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 09 rear mech.jpg
    09 rear mech.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 10 cokcpit 2.jpg
    10 cokcpit 2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 11 cockpit.jpg
    11 cockpit.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 12 front wheel.jpg
    12 front wheel.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Beautiful frame. As it happens, the Olimpic sat in the middle of the range, not at the top (Columbus Aelle tubing), and cable runs over the BB, flat fork crown, those seat stay caps and that style of Columbus decal all point to early 80s, not 90s. But still a beautiful bike.

Good luck with the sale.

Beautiful frame. As it happens, the Olimpic sat in the middle of the range, not at the top (Columbus Aelle tubing), and cable runs over the BB, flat fork crown, those seat stay caps and that style of Columbus decal all point to early 80s, not 90s. But still a beautiful bike.

Good luck with the sale.
Just curious, is it definitely Aelle ? Would they have bothered with Campag dropouts on what was a budget tubing ?

27.2mm seatpost suggests SL/slx/spx quality tubeset. Columbus aelle, cromor and zeta were usually 26.4,mm

If it is an Olimpic, it is Aelle tubing - that’s what Olimpics were made of.

Plenty of Italian builders used nice lugs, dropouts, chrome, pantographing, etc on mid- and low-end frames. I have an Olmo made of Columbus Gara, with chrome forks, slotted BB shell and super fancy brake bridge, and a Pinarello Olé where the finish is amazing, but the tubing is cheap, in-house manganese stuff.

If it is an Olimpic, it is Aelle tubing - that’s what Olimpics were made of.

Plenty of Italian builders used nice lugs, dropouts, chrome, pantographing, etc on mid- and low-end frames. I have an Olmo made of Columbus Gara, with chrome forks, slotted BB shell and super fancy brake bridge, and a Pinarello Olé where the finish is amazing, but the tubing is cheap, in-house manganese stuff.
But is it an Olympic ? The author said it’s 90s, which it is clearly not, so it’s probably not an Olympic either.

But is it an Olympic ? The author said it’s 90s, which it is clearly not, so it’s probably not an Olympic either.
It looks like an Olimpic (not Olympic) - they had all of these nice features and Aelle tubes.

See here - https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Olmo2/7.jpg

I don’t see why it isn’t an Olimpic? But it could be something else - I am often wrong! What we can all agree on, is that it is not from anywhere close to the late 90s, like that group set!

Thanks everyone yes I have spent a lot of time looking into this bike's history and it's not been easy. I should have posted on here first :) I ran the bike in its original colour scheme for a few years before the superficial scratches and non-shiny chrome annoyed me. So I got the red version of the decals as there were two options (yellow and red) and I was inspired by a Pelizzoli frame I saw.

Good point and I agree on the Campag drop outs vs tubing. The grupo on there originally was really nice with a gorgeous GS Campagnolo crankset. Shame that the rest of the group wasn't up to scratch and so I decided to keep it all matching with this 7700. Don't hate me for brutalising the pedigree Italiano side of this.

Embarassingly the seat post is 26.8 which is Aelle so I've fixed that typo, and also will update on the top vs middle, thanks.

This is the reason I wanted to put this bike on here as I think these are the people that will appreciate this, it rides so well. But I can't justify keeping it alongside my other steel numbers.

Looking to sell this bike this summer if possible.... will reduce price to £750 if interested please get in touch

Back