Old mtb to tourer conversion, need a little advice.

The current one is 18" from centre of BB to top of seat tube so I'd guess something around 20-21" should be about right.

I used a Diamond Back Ascent last year, it worked very well with its wheelbase and geometries - even better than a Marin BV which was also brilliant. City Jets are my tyres of choice, there's nothing comes close at the price, imo.

At least two hand positions are needed if touring, with brake levers for your descent position. I've fitted cross tops on the flats with the main levers on the bolt-on bits, not quite as secure as proper drops on fast descents but good enough.

hamster":12rjmn8t said:
WimVDD":12rjmn8t said:
I'd drop the steerer bag as it makes your bike unstable.

Depends (as I said upthread) on steering geometry and frame stiffness.

My Marin is fine - I've had 46mph out of it downhill with 4 panniers and barbag, steady as a rock. There are a lot of Americans who seem to tour with front panniers only. I can't say I see the point of that setup, although it must be kinder on the rear wheel.
Definitely there are some frames that really don't take nicely to barbags. Try it out and see what works.

Personally I still run 7 speed: the rear wheel has less dish and is stronger as a result. With a 24/38/47 and 13-30 cassette it gives a gear range of 20" to 92", which is totally adequate even with a camping load. The standard MTB setup of 22/32/42 with 11-28 is almost the same.

I'd agree on the bar bag and stability at least as far as Marins concerned as mine is as well. I also find the bar bag really convenient both for access and quick removability. BITD it was also really good with a clear pouch on top for maps but I guess that advantage has disappeared with phones now, although I still prefer a map, don't lose a signal and no excuse for getting lost......

As to gears, I have never felt the need for more gears, just the low ones are the really important ones. When touring in the mountains found nearly 90% of the time is going uphill, the right gears and easy shifting much more important than having an extra couple. More useful is being fitter, makes the greatest difference !

Final consideration for lowest gear is ego. Are you prepared to get off and walk. One particularly steep bit in Alps I did just that :shock: to enjoy the scenary and then caught up and overtook my mate who was still pedalling away but in a ridiculously low gear. Should add that day we were without panniers as stayed at campsite 2 nights. The final stretch to the "summit" the frames were over the shoulders and carried last bit, but we were determined to get to the top. Conveniently there was a summit marker 1698m (and for comparison Ben Nevis 1345m but just a hill compared to others in Alps and Rockies) still, rather a lot of effort but good view. I'm not sure lower gears would have really helped.

Back